What's new

Next year's Hitachi 57TWX20b "dumbed-down" (1 Viewer)

JamesOr

Agent
I tried posting this last night and it was moved to the "Retail vendor's feedback" section because I mentioned the store I am buying this tv from. So I've omitted the references to the store and salesman so some people in this section can actually see it.

I went to hhegregg and talked to a salesman about the Hitachi 57TWX20b and learned some interesting things. I'm curious to see what people on this board think aboout what he told me.

I asked him when the '04 models were coming out and he wasn't 100% sure but he said in the next 3-4 months most likely. He said that it would be better to buy the current model because Hitachi is going to dumb-down next year's model. In a nutshell he said that Hitachi felt they "over-engineered" this model since it compared pretty favorably to the Pioneer Elite series which is quite a bit more expensive. He said they were going to reduce the number of lenses from 5 to 4 on next year's model and sell it for around the same price.

Anybody else hear something about this? If you want to see the original post it's in the "Retail and Wholesale Vendors Feedback" section.

Rich Burns

Auditioning
I just bought a 57TWX20B and the salesman urged me to get the current year because he said several Hitachi model lines were going to be downgraded next year.

I took it to be salesman talk, I had my mind made up on the set I wanted. I didn't want to wait 4 monthes for next year's anyway.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

I'll go ahead an close the other thread this time.

Remember, a salesperson will tell you what he or she thinks you want to hear. Otherwise, the salesperson wants your money now, and will encourage you to go for a model presently in stock.

Does the salesperson receive memos from Hitachi's engineering and marketing departments? Would Hitachi, whose reputation for video excellence keeps getting better all the time, "downgrade" its models simply because the powers that be believe the RPTVs are too close to Pioneer's Elite series but not appropriately expensive?

For all we know, Hitachi might be contemplating such moves, though it's unlikely. And some floor salesman, eager to meet his quota and commission, will do what it takes to separate you from your money now.

JamesOr

Agent
I don't think that's what the situation was at all. He was a really nice guy and I'm far more distrusting of salesman than most people. He didn't tell me about the change in next year's model in order to persuade me one way or another. I phrased the question in a general way- applying the question to all manufacturers not just Hitachi. I bought the tv today and spent a good 45 minutes talking with him about all kinds of things. He even went out of his way to make sure another salesman(that helped me for like 10 minutes) got 25% of the commission.

You don't need to see some secret plans from Hitachi's engineering department in order to find out what they are doing on next year's model. If they are going to release them before the end of this year, they must already be manufacturing them and chances are, the retailers already have the specs on them. I understand your skepticism because I generally share it where sales people are concerned but this is one of the few experiences where the sales guy was really honest and wanted to make sure I was happy with my purchase.

JamesOr

Agent
Sorry if this is veering towards the "Reseller Feedback" arena again. I really meant to get people's feedback on whether they had heard the same thing about next year's model.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just a thought, but you could try contacting Hatachi & see what a tech there will tell you. I've had techs from other companies give me a lot of information on sets & if the dealers have it, it no big secret & they will always give you the info. I've also found that asking for their "NEW" catalogs, which are usually out this month, will give you the complete product specs long before they are ever up on their websites or even made, so it pays to request catalogs & you can usually do it on their wesites.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
5 is 'ALWAYS' better than 4, right!?!?
Wrong!!!
Hitachi, the "ONLY" RPTV manufacture to produce their "OWN" lenses, has recently (03-04), made a 'breakthrough'.
Remember when six elements where the industry standard?
I was also being lead by a ring in my nose, too purchase at least a five element lens.
No, longer.
Less, is 'MORE'!!!
When it comes to well executed lenses.
And no one does it better, for RPTV!
Scalers, are a whole another ball game however.
But, do beware.
Toshiba, did the price vs. quality thing.
So, it's not 'impossible'.
However, Hitachi going from 5 to 4 elements (at the same price point) is not cut & dried "downgrade"!
Check out the Hitachi site.
You'll have to read between the lines a bit, but you will see an 'improvement' in the new for '03-'04 four element lenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks