What's new

Next Two MOFI Super Audios Announced! (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
I was just wondering about this the other day...you're the man! :D
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with either one of these titles...how are they?
Regarding this new batch of MoFi releases (and what the old ones are going for on eBay nowadays...I've been buying a bunch of them), I'm thinking of purchasing every single one and putting them away for safe keeping until 10 years from now. Of course, some will be really difficult to sit on...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ron,
The Rollins disc I am real excited about. This was a Rudy Van Gelder recording, even though there is some question about the quality of the source tapes. I understand Clifford Brown is on the title as well and will be making his Super Audio debut with this title.
I am all for any big classic jazz titles released in this format. I think the quick capture of transients from Super Audio's high sampling rate makes jazz sound particularly lifelike.
:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm also psyched about the Rollins title. I don't own the regular CD yet, but if memory serves correctly, Clifford Brown and Max Roach play on it.

Wait, lemme check allmusic.com...

Yep, I was right. It also has Richie Powell playing piano, who I'm pretty sure is the brother of the legendary Bud Powell, and George Morrow on bass.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,
I was hoping to get your attention. Your jazz knowledge is superb!
I forgot about Max Roach - it has been a few years. Richie Powell and George Morrow? Excellent. Let's hope they do the usual superb job and have secured a primo source tape.
Now, I have to excuse myself and go listen to Blues in Orbit. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Lee, but these titles do no particularly excite me. I think part of it is that I am having a hard time seeing the MFSL name being used in a very different way than before. It just doesn't seem right for Music Direct to be using the MFSL name since they are not picking up where MFSL left off. :frowning:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,
There could be more exciting titles no doubt, but some good Rollins is great jazz.
I would give them a few more release dates before drawing any serious conclusions. I met the head of Music Direct at last year's HiFi show and he has some good music knowledge and big plans for the label.
Now if they can just do a Super Audio of Dark Side of The Moon. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:

Now if they can just do a Super Audio of Dark Side of The Moon.
That's exactly my point. I loved the old MFSL. Aside from the sound quality, they churned out some great music on gold CDs, although I admit that there was little to know jazz or classical music there. Still, I loved it when classic rock titles came out on gold CDs from MFSL (and Sony MasterSound and DCC too). As I have said before, I doubt we will see the new MFSL release SACDs of Clapton, Rush, Pink Floyd, etc.

By contrast, I like what Steve Hoffman is doing. Granted he is just starting with SACDs from his new company, but he is starting off with a bang with CCR. I am hopeful that he will continue the tradition of quality rock titles that he built with DCC, this time on SACD.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
With this thread in mind during my trip to the record store today, I picked up the Rollins CD.

Musically, it is superb. Yes, not surprising, but still... wow. The album was recorded in 1956. While Rollins would go on to mature and advance as an improvisor, I can't help but be constantly drawn to the output of the Saxophonists As A Young Man.

This disc burns, plain and simple. Besides Rollins' cool but passionate tenor (as if that isn't enough), Clifford Brown is just as delightful a presence, as always. I've never heard a Cliff Brown note I didn't like- easily one of the greats.

The tracks:

1. Valse Hot
A Rollins original- great tune, but let's face it, it's all about the playing right? Oh yeah.

2. Kiss And Run
Telepathic dual lead btween Brown and Rollins.

3. I Feel A Song Coming On
Wow. Double wow. A short track, with all the goodness squished into it.

4. Count Your Blessing Instead of Your Sheep
The closest thing to a "ballad," this short track serves as an interlude before the last grand slam of the album...

5. Pent-Up House
Just to remind you of how awesome these guys are, this track sends it off with a bang.

It's just a great set of hard, uppy jazz music at its best.

This is the original and only CD master of the album and, like a lot of other classic Rollins material (Freedom Suite, Newk's Time) has not gotten the benefit of a remaster. That is a shame.

This is the kind of music that is begging for a Super Audio release.

NP: Miles Davis, Decoy, CD

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, $229 is high for the 'CE775 these days. Best Buy and Circuit City have been selling it for $180 lately, though it is getting hard to find at either chain. Before you order through Music Direct (a great dealer, by the way), call Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
KeithH,

Thanks for the tips on the CE775! Ah, good ol' Onecall.com...I like those guys. Or, do I save the $180 and put it towards a Musical Fidelity A3 24 DAC? Questions, questions...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ron,
As good as the MF A3 24 is, I think a step over to Super Audio land will be better. You just can't beat the high resolution formats for improved sound. :)
Also, the 775 has gotten stellar reviews from the audiophile press for sound quality.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

I know, but I'm just not ready to give up on CDs yet in support of a new format. I'd have to go and replace many discs, some at close to twice the cost. Heck, the only reason why I have a DVD-A disc is because my player is DVD Audio/Video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks