What's new

Next Two MOFI Super Audios Announced! (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ron, who says you have to "give up" on CDs? SACD players play both. Unless something severely drastic happens in the music recording business soon, which it won't, CDs will remain the format I use almost all the time. High-res is a nice addition or enhancement to music listening.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Yeah, but wouldn't my Musical Fidelity A3 CD player play a CD better than the CE775?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, no problem. The Musical Fidelity A324 with a decent transport will beat the 'CE775 with CDs. However, with the 'CE775 only costing $180 these days, could you not buy both? The A324 would make your CDs sing, but SACD is SACD.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
However, with the 'CE775 only costing $180 these days, could you not buy both?
I suppose I could...it's just gonna take some time to sock the $1200 away for the A3 24! :D Not like I have a lot of "disposable income," but $180 is just a drop in the bucket for a quality component these days.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, my suggestion is that you get the 'CE775 now if SACD interests you. The 'CE775 has been discontinued and is difficult to find at Circuit City and Best Buy in my area now. Also, Crutchfield last had it about a month ago, which suggests that they sold out of it and will not be getting it in again. I would scour brick-and-mortar stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter, The Good Guys, or whatever you have in your area) and also check Oade Bros., OneCall, and J&R Music World to track one down. The 'CE775 will probably be replaced by some sort of similar model, but Sony has made no announcement to that effect. Get the 'CE775 while you can!

As for the A324, it is a new component and will be around for awhile.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
If you're going to spend $1200 on a CD player, you can get a top model Sony SACD player that plays both SACDs and CDs beautifully, like the 555ES.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If you're going to spend $1200 on a CD player, you can get a top model Sony SACD player that plays both SACDs and CDs beautifully, like the 555ES.
Bingo!

I think the new Philips player which was $2K has been discounted down to $1200 or less. Harry Pearson, the Absolute Sound guru, raved about this unit recently.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
The 'CE775 has been discontinued and is difficult to find at Circuit City and Best Buy in my area now. Also, Crutchfield last had it about a month ago, which suggests that they sold out of it and will not be getting it in again. I would scour brick-and-mortar stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter, The Good Guys, or whatever you have in your area) and also check Oade Bros., OneCall, and J&R Music World to track one down.
That's so funny...just the other day, I saw several of these in a local Circuit City (for Lee, it's the one at Northpoint)! Given it's almost extinct status, I may just pick one up...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

No Best Buy stores in my area seem to have the 'CE775 any longer. I don't know about Circuit City since they don't keep sealed merchandise on the sales floor.

Lee,

In case you didn't know, Harry Pearson went so far as to say that the Philips SACD-1000 was a better SACD player than a $28,000 Accuphase player. Pearson's statement has been torn apart recently on Audio Asylum. Also, I believe Audio Advisor is selling the '1000 for $1000, not $1200.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
In case you didn't know, Harry Pearson went so far as to say that the Philips SACD-1000 was a better SACD player than a $28,000 Accuphase player. Pearson's statement has been torn apart recently on Audio Asylum.
Actually, I believe Harry may be right here. I auditioned the Accuphase and I think it was not so spectacular for $28K. And the price of the Philips is now around $900. I do believe that $28,000 is way too much to pay for digital component. Things change too fast. That would be like spending $10,000 for a personal computer - you would be out of date in 6-12 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks