What's new

Newbie Speaker questions and Recs? ($500-600) (1 Viewer)

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I am brand new to anything to deal with speakers so I apologize if this sounds infantile or redundant. I am looking to upgrade my old kenwood bookshelf speakers right now. I have read that it won't it is plausible to send my bookshelves I use as fronts right now, to the rears and they will work fine....is this true? Now, I am not sure if I should get floorstanding for my new fronts or stick with bookshelves. I have a good bass so the bass is not important so is it worth the extra to get the floorstandings? I saw the deals on the Polk R40's earlier but unfortunately I don't have a Fry's around here. I am also looking at the Home Theater Direct Level Three towers and Center. Are these a good buy at about $600 for them all or is there better speakers to be had out there. Thanks for any help or speaker recs.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
You're quite right that you can use your current speakers to tide you over for your surrounds. The tower vs. bookshelf speaker debate is endless. Not sure what you mean by you have good bass. I use Pinnacle towers and got some decent performance until I was able to add a dedicated subwoofer sometime later.
Check the hardware for sale section. You may find some excellent deals on used speakers. One guy has a pair of Pinnacle Classic Towers going for an absolute bargain at ~$250. There's also a Take 5.2 package going for $600. If you would like to read reviews on these products go to www.pinnaclespeakers.com or www.ecoustics.com

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant I recently got a good powered subwoofer so the bass from the speakers aren't as important. That is why I was wondering if towers would make that big of difference from bookshelf. Thanks

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Go back a few days and you should find a 5 page debate on bookshelf vs. towers. I'm not touching it here :D . But, if I were you and you have a decent sized room I'd go with towers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks