What's new

Newbie Question: Enhanced Audio CD (1 Viewer)

BryanMM

Grip
What exactly is this? Does it work on any cd player or can only SACD/DVD Players play it?

Thanks,
Bryan

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Aren't these just "regular" CDs, but with a few added video tracks as well? So the regular audio portion would play on a regular CD player, but IIRC the video portion is encoded the same way as a VCD, so you'd need a VCD player, or a DVD player that supports the VCD format, to play back the video. Most PCs will also be able to play the video as well.

So no SACD/DVD-A capability required.

BryanMM

Grip
This would be an example: cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6704371&cart=195637830&style=music&Bab=D
Notice it says "Enhanced CD" under Additional Info.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
As far as I know, enhanced CDs are CDs with regular audio information that is playable in regular CD players plus a CD-ROM portion. This CD-ROM portion can contain files such as videos as mentioned, Web pages, programs, etc. that are accessible via your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM player.

By the way, Girl in the Other Room is turning out to be Diana Krall's most successful album to date. In addition to having gone double platinum in Canada, it has gone gold in the U.S., France, England, and Portugal.

http://www.dianakrall.com/

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yep. regular redbook cds with some "extras" for play on your computer or compatible player.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
From what I've noticed, you can only play back the video on Enhanced CDs by using a computer. The video content on every Enhanced CD I own only plays on a computer. I think the reason for this is that the redbook track is written onto the CD first, then the ISO track is written afterwards. So, most DVD players would only be able to see the first track burned onto the disc (the redbook).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
There were 3 threads started on this subject, this one got the most responses & views.
But, it didn't help me.In a huge CD collection I may only have one with "Enhanced Footage"...the Joan Jett I brought home today.
My computer has 2 different DVD trays, neither of them had the decency to tell the computer that I wanted to see Joan sing "Star Star" live in Houston in 1983.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks