What's new

Newbie PALM questions (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, so my dad finally decided on getting a refurbed Palm Vx after it dropped to $75 at compgeeks (from $90), and i have a couple questions:

It says it comes with Palm 3.5, is there any benefit of upgarding to v4.1? I dont think itll take a processor hit since the less-powerful Palm Zire runs 4.1, so i'd think the Vx would run fine.

Whats a good program that'll let me read eBooks (PDFs, and docs/txt files?)?

Any other must-have or useful programs for the Palm?

Is it possible to go online with this palm? Even maybe through the computer?

And this is just out of curiosity: Why would u need to buy new stylii? Do they get dull after use? Or do people just lose them alot?

Thanks alot! I'll prolly have some more questions when we recieve it... lol, i know its not MY toy, but still, its something to play with in the meantime :D

Camp

Senior HTF Member
And this is just out of curiosity: Why would u need to buy new stylii? Do they get dull after use? Or do people just lose them alot?
Some people claim 3rd party stylii "feel" better. Some claim they're easier on the screen. Some have built-in ink pens. Before you buy, make sure the replacement stylus fits the Vx.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
In regards to the OS upgrade, I would suggest that you go to Palm.com and read about the difference between the two versions. If you think you'll use the new features then go a head and upgrade.

I had a Palm V and upgraded to 4.1 and didn't notice any kind of performance hit.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Is the 4.1 upgrade only available via CD by ordering it from Palm for $30? Can you download it?

Thanks for the answers guys!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Sony Clie stylus is very thin and I prefer to use a larger, pen-sized stylus. For the Palm, there are replacement styluses with an ink pen, which can be convenient.

I like to use screen protectors on my Clie. I hope it will help prolong the life of my screen.

Must have apps:
Splash ID -- a good password manager. I've got too many to remember and this is a very useful to me.

BigClock -- handy to have a stop-watch handy (for my Toastmasters meetings)

powerOne Scientific -- a good scientific calculator, if that's your game.

X-Master -- system extensions manager

McPhling -- must have system extension that adds a "Favorites" popup menu, available from within any program. IMO this should be part of the PalmOS.

ClockPop -- extension to add a clock "splash" screen with time and upcoming calendar events. It can be made to appear after holding one of the application buttons for a half-second. I use this all the time.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks