What's new

newbie needs help with setup hk/sharp (1 Viewer)

axled001

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
I hope i am asking in the right section. I have purchased a new system, and with 5 different manuals, and all these cables I am very confused.I have a 37du sharp aquos tv w/hdmi, harman avr 435 rec no hdmi, harman dvd 47 dvd player w/hdmi hookup, harman fl835 cd player, harman htks14 speaker system. i have no cable box yet (2 month waiting list). after 3 days of various trial and errors i finally got everything working,but it just dont sound right. (my previous $300 htib sounded better).i spent $500. in cables alone. the loud scenes are very loud, and the low scenes i have to keep adjusting. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi axled - here is how I would recommend cabling your home entertainment system (below)

For your audio cabling please ensure you are using digital coax or optical audio. For your speaker cabling I would recommend 12 AWG or 14 AWG cabling, and avoid the cabling that came with your speakers - 100ft should be available at Home Depot for around $30.

It sounds like you spent far too much on video cabling - for instance, a $15 no-name brand HDMI cable will perform equally well to a $150 Monster HDMI cable, over a reasonable cable run (under 15ft).

I'm not sure how much performance you expected from $400 HTIB satellite speakers, but your cabling should certainly not cost more than the speakers! I'd recommend returning the cabling, and investing in more capable bookshelf speakers.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brian,

Is the low scenes needing adjustment the only thing that you’re unhappy about?

That’s the way DVD’s are supposed to be. It’s called “dynamic range;” It’s what gives explosions the realistic impact. Basically, you should set the volume to where you can hear the low scenes fine.

If you don’t like the dynamic range, the receiver will have a “midnight” setting that compresses the sound. This will basically make it sound like television programming – loud and soft sounds all at the same level.

By the way, Alon’s recommendation for connection means that every time you change your viewing source, you have to change the input on both the receiver (for the audio signal) and the TV (for the video). If you connect everything to the receiver with component video, and send one component feed to the TV, you’ll get both audio and video with one button on the remote. Much more convenient.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

axled001

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
thanks to all that responded, there is a night mode , which works well late at night. thanks for info. I have it setup ala alans mode, and it sounds better, but i do have to keep switching modes, if you could please advise on how to run everything to reciever? all help appreciated. great forum...

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Brian - the setup I recommended provides optimal picture quality.. I'd recommend purchasing a Universal Remote Control so that you don't need to change sources manually. You can find a Logitech Harmony 880 for $150 if you hunt around.

Some DVD players will not upconvert over component, which is why I recommend connecting the DVD player directly to the TV via HDMI to take advantage of HDMI Upconversion.

And as per your private message, you'll be connecting your TV directly to the wall via coax, so you would still need to change the source on your TV between coax and component, so a Universal Remote is still your best option.

Glad to hear things sound better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks