What's new

Newbie need some help (1 Viewer)

mitchell b

Auditioning
Hello everyone, I think I need some help.

I first purchased a Panasonic home theater in a box. WOW what a disappointment.

I returned that unit and bought the following

Receiver- Yamaha 5550

DVD / CD - Panasonic DVDCV52

Speakers- Polk Audio RM6200

The help I need is in the hooking up of the components.

I am going to use the optical out on the dvd/cd to the dvd optical in on the receiver.

Should I plug the S video into the receiver as well , or do I plug that into the tv?

I have about a 6 year old 41" Sony.

This is what I had planned

Satellite RCA out to TV
DVD optical to receiver---S Video to TV

Then I still have my VCR to hook up.

The salesman suggested I run everything into the receiver, including the satellite.

If I do this though, doesn't the receiver have to be on every time I watch TV ?

Basically I need detailed instructions on how to set this up. The Yamaha book isn't that instructive.

Thanks in advance
Mitchell

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I started a hook-up response, then thot I'd first ask:

1. Obviously you will want the receiver ON with DVD/CD. You will connect the S-Video to the Yamaha DVD IN and another appropriate length of S-Video from rcvr's MONITOR OUT to the tv S-Video IN. Since the tv probably has just one S-Video IN terminal, we have to figure using the rcvr video switching if there's a conflict with any S-Video from the SAT box. What outputs does the SAT STB have besides an cabletv type black coax?

2. The next issue is: dont you want to watch/listen to SAT tv thru the rcvr and the Polk speakers? However, yes, you can hook this up even with a VCR to bypass the receiver to use the tv-only speakers -- say for kids' programs, or if the spouse doesnt want to operate the Yamaha/Polk system just yet.

3. A third issue is whether the VCR's internal comb filter is better than the tv's -- is it a good Hi-Fi 4- to 6-head one or a $99 Costco?

bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks