What's new

Newbie need some help (1 Viewer)

mitchell b

Auditioning
Hello everyone, I think I need some help.

I first purchased a Panasonic home theater in a box. WOW what a disappointment.

I returned that unit and bought the following

Receiver- Yamaha 5550

DVD / CD - Panasonic DVDCV52

Speakers- Polk Audio RM6200

The help I need is in the hooking up of the components.

I am going to use the optical out on the dvd/cd to the dvd optical in on the receiver.

Should I plug the S video into the receiver as well , or do I plug that into the tv?

I have about a 6 year old 41" Sony.

This is what I had planned

Satellite RCA out to TV
DVD optical to receiver---S Video to TV

Then I still have my VCR to hook up.

The salesman suggested I run everything into the receiver, including the satellite.

If I do this though, doesn't the receiver have to be on every time I watch TV ?

Basically I need detailed instructions on how to set this up. The Yamaha book isn't that instructive.

Thanks in advance
Mitchell

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I started a hook-up response, then thot I'd first ask:

1. Obviously you will want the receiver ON with DVD/CD. You will connect the S-Video to the Yamaha DVD IN and another appropriate length of S-Video from rcvr's MONITOR OUT to the tv S-Video IN. Since the tv probably has just one S-Video IN terminal, we have to figure using the rcvr video switching if there's a conflict with any S-Video from the SAT box. What outputs does the SAT STB have besides an cabletv type black coax?

2. The next issue is: dont you want to watch/listen to SAT tv thru the rcvr and the Polk speakers? However, yes, you can hook this up even with a VCR to bypass the receiver to use the tv-only speakers -- say for kids' programs, or if the spouse doesnt want to operate the Yamaha/Polk system just yet.

3. A third issue is whether the VCR's internal comb filter is better than the tv's -- is it a good Hi-Fi 4- to 6-head one or a $99 Costco?

bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks