What's new

Newbie in HT, I got a problem playing MP3s (1 Viewer)

Gus Valladares

Auditioning
Hi Everyone,
I'm new in the Home Theater world. I just bought a Panasonic SC-HT95
Home theater.
(http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...s=0&c=4&g=3770
0&I=133SCHT95&o=p&a=0 )
I had a limited budget (no more than $500) for a
complete system. I thought this was ok.
One very important feature, for me was the ability to play MP3s.
BUT, I got a problem with different volumes and the bit rate. With certain
songs, the sound "jumps" Is
that normal?
My questions are:
1- What do you think about the Panasonic? Is that a good HT? (I can change
it!)
2- Is normal for the HT to jump songs written with a higher bit rate?
3- Any tip or suggestion, recommended links about Home theater are welcome.
Thank you very much!
Gustavo

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I don't know about the quality of the HT. But, the sound jumping may not be just due to the bitrate. Did you rip these yourself or are they ones you "borrowed"? If they are borrowed, then it is probably due to the volume level that they were ripped at. Different rippers/people rip at different volume levels. So, when different mp3s from different sources are combined, the volume will jump between songs depending on how they were ripped.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Jesse hit the nail on the head. The difference is in the rip. There are some programs that will re-equalize all of your songs to the same volume level, but i don't know the names right off.

Gus Valladares

Auditioning
Hi,

The problem is not with the volume. The HT skips 1/2 second of a song, 20 or 30 times during the playback.

So, I don't know if I have to return the HT or not.

Thanks for your answers

Gustavo

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Gus, is the mp3 encoded as "variable bitrate"? That's an option that frequently causes problems with the likes of mp3 playing DVDs, older portable players etc.

Basically, with VBR on, the bitrate increases at denser sounding parts of the song & decreases at other parts.

The symptoms you're describing sound very similiar to what you get if you play a VBR encoded mp3 with a player that only handles "constant bit rate" mp3 files.

Gus Valladares

Auditioning
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I try to resample the Mp3's with constant bit rates, I burned the Cd's x8, x2 and x1, I changed the bit rate from 192 to 96 Kb... nothing. The problem is there.

It seems that I will change the Panasonic for another HT. Can anybody help me with a little advice? I got a limited budget ($500-600) for a complete system. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gustavo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks