What's new

Newbie HDTV buyer whittles choices down to 2 Phillipses... (1 Viewer)

PaulHan

Auditioning
Tried to send this last night but the software upgrade that wasn't ate the post. So here goes again.

Our family's current TV, a 30" Zenith was purchased a decade ago and is finally in its endgame. I don't want to spend any more than $850 on a 30" HDTV, and 2 Philips models (both with HDMI) I've finally decided on weighing their advantages and disadvantages. One is the Philips 30PW8420 (at Circuit City for 689) and the other is the same company's 30PW9100D (at Best Buy for $799). We have a Comcast digital cable box (not HDTV) and a Panasonic DVR. Neither has HDMI input, but the latter set is HD Built-In as opposed to HD-ready. For those who have either set or have had experience with any Philips HDTV's of a similar picture size, I'd like to hear from you as to your experiences with it and which one would be the better buy.

Thanks.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
The Sony KV-30HS420 is a MUCH better buy.

Better picture, better sound, better power supply.
Better menu setup. HDMI!
Better EVERYTHING.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, for around the same price it would seem....

Philips buys are mostly smart when the to good to be true deal is presented.

Maybe $599 or less, which is possible. The sales are way discounted on the Philips displays sometimes and then it makes more sense.

Not long ago, one of the big box stores had a Philips 60" CRT RPTV for under a grand. Now that would have been a decent score indeed.

PaulHan

Auditioning
I did notice the Sony, but it weighs almost 150 pounds, plus it appears you can't change the aspect ratio when watching HDTV, and that might be a minor deal-breaker.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

That was Circuit City. The thing was a behemoth. Plus it literally fell apart if you looked at it too hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks