What's new

New Wallflowers album 5/24 (1 Viewer)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
A new Wallflowers album came out yesterday on cd an dual disc. Anyone know if the dual disc has high rez tracks (dvd-audio) on the dvd side?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

I am going to pick this one up on DD as well this week. Universal is doing a great job with Dual Disc from a Hi-rez and features standpoint. IF only Sony would follow, we would all be happy campers.

J

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
WARNING - the back of the dual disc says that the hi-res stereo is 24/48 (whereas the website claims 24/96).

I won't be able to confirm on my RP91 until tomorrow at the earliest.

Bummer if that site is erroneous.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Too bad it's not being released on hybrid SACD like Red Letter Days was. At least it would work in my player. DualDisc: :thumbsdown:

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
I read on another forum that it's actually the back of the disc that is mislabeled. BTW, what is up with the interview with Jon Lovitz?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just confirmed that stereo is 24/96.

However I have a problem: 6ch shows as 24/48, that's fine...but I have no sound from the center and rear speakers (and yes my other DVD-As worked). at least not on the 2 songs I sampled. Anyone else experiencing this?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

No, I won't. My Denon 2900 does not play the CD (and I use that term loosely) side of DualDiscs, hence my comment and the :thumbsdown:. If I want to listen to the CD content I have to rip it to a CD-R. Not acceptable. For me DualDisc is a non-starter.

It's unfortunate that studios are starting to release some new music exclusively on this format, one that doesn't conform to the 20+ year old Redbook CD standard.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, I realize that it's also available on CD. I didn't mean to suggest that this title was released exclusively on DualDisc, but some others have been. I hope it's not a trend.

I'm just bummed that it isn't available on a high-rez format that I can take complete advantage of.

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo, the "problem" you are experiencing is not technical. It is a result of the mix itself, which was done by Nick Didia, who also did surround mixes for The Thorns and the recent Springsteen record, among others. Sometimes he opts not to use the rears or the center; in fact, he rarely employs all five points in his mixes, the results of which can be pretty underwhelming if you prefer more aggressive 5.1 surround mixes. They're very subtle to say the least.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Can anyone compare the 5.1 mix of the new album versus "Red Letter Days" SACD? I don't have multichannel setup. To my ears, the mix of "Red Letter Days" is a much better/cleaner mix than RS. I'm comparing cd to cd here.

I really like Brendan O'Brien, but I'm not that fond of this mix. One thing that really strikes me is how much the first couple of tracks sound like Bruce Springsteen songs from the 70's. It's not just the style of the songs, but the mix and the instruments used. After the first couple of tracks, the songs sound more like the wallflowers I'm used to. It also seems to me that the first couple of tracks are compressed a lot, with some analog distortion during the loud tracks that give it a "wall of sound" feel to it. Any comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks