What's new

New universal DVD players (1 Viewer)

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting ready to buy a new player and have my eye on the Pioneer 563. Does anyone know if any other budget universal players are coming out soon that will be competition to the 563? If so, is there potential for a better universal player in this price range in the near future?

Thanks much.

Pioneer is the undisputed leader in format compatibility. I have an older DV-440, one of the first slim players, and a newer DV-363. Both units play almost any video disk I put in them. I edit and burn home movies in VCD and SVCD and this is a requirement for me. I've also had Toshiba, JVC, Panasonic and Phillips players, none of them were as compatible as the Pioneer models. The Pioneer models also have as good or better a picture quality as the best of them.

Get the Pioneer, you can't go wrong. The other players will still be a question mark.

Want more info on player compatibility?

www.dvdrhelp.com

JM2CW
Russ

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
The 563a is a much-discussed hunk of equipment on this forum. Run a search and you'll find an awful lot of info. I bought one just about a month ago.
I have heard ZERO rumors of new 'entry level' universals. But what I can say is, it's a great player for the price. I had an $90 samsung P231 DVD player, and the 563a destroys it in picture quality. That + SACD/DVD-A; trust me, you will not have any regrets after you get it.

The difference between the 563 and the 363 is the SACD and DVD-Audio. (the 363 dosen't have those options) Not nessasary for me. As far as I could tell the 563 is also only offered in silver, that is why I got the 363. All my components are black.

I don't understand why manufacturers don't offer their HT components in both black and silver. I doubt most HT enthusiasts care for mis-matched stuff.

JM2CW
Russ

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Aaron: I read Toshiba is supposedly going to start selling a universal (sacd/dvd-audio/dvd-video) player this year, I think costing around $200.

And I think I vaguely remember reading something about Samsung doing the same thing (how's that for good solid info? :) ).

LJ

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Once again Danny, thanks for the link. The Yamaha looks interesting. I have been waiting for a 5 disk uni player but I'm getting impatiant. Maybe a single disc is better in the long run anyway. Gene

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for link Danny. I would love to have a look at the new toshiba players and see what they have to offer but I'm not waiting until June (although a 5 disk universal player for $249 could be pretty sweet)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks