What's new

New TV Help??? Projection/LCD/Plasma/Flatscreen... (1 Viewer)

D

DAN NEIR

I'm buying a home and one room will become the new home theater room. The room is about 13 x 9. I currently have a Mitsubishi 46 in rear projection hd ready set. It goes to 1080i and only has component inputs. My wife to be is offering to get me a new set, she offered a flat screen. I'm researching now but wanted to get feedback here as to what everyone owns, what they consider to be the best sets out there. Not sure if I want to go flatscreen, plasma/lcd or projection again, only thing I figure is that I'll want to go bigger in size (over the current 46 in) and probably want the new set to be 1080p w/ an hdmi input. Ideally I'd like to keep it under $3000. Any thoughts??

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Under $3K and bigger? I'm thinking DLP front projector and a screen. You'll ber hard pressed to find a plasma or LCD for under $3K that's bigger than 46 inches.

D

DAN NEIR

I'm looking at all avenues, including another rear projection set if need be. Just wanted some feedback on what's out there and what people have.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You can get 50" plasmas for $1800-$2500 depending on where you shop. My local HHGregg/Fry's/BestBuy has the Panasonic 50" plasma for $1800 nowadays (though it's "only" 720p, natively, scaled up to 1366x768). You could wait for a few months and see what the 1080p plasma will debut at price-wise.

You can go big (58" or 60") in DLP for around $3000 or less with careful attention to local sales. You should at least look, in person, at the current available implementations for TVs: flatscreens (plasma, LCD), RP (DLP, LCos, LCD). I taken a long look at all the different types of TV, and now know what I want. You may find what you are looking for in your price-range, but you should do an in-person sampling of the different types of TVs these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks