What's new

New Total Recall- a Bad Transfer? Say it ain't so!! (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You might want to read other DVD Review sites (DVDfile, Digital Bits, Robert George, etc.) to see what they say. I wouldn't rely on a single site for a review. DVDFile was actually quite pleased with the transfer, and they're not particularly noted for holding back on their criticism.
[Edited last by RobertR on September 06, 2001 at 01:59 PM]

Dylan Davis

Stunt Coordinator
I picked it up last Saturday at blankedy blank.
I am not a good reviewer by a long shot, but...
I was disappointed in the transfer also. It's colors weren't as vibrant as I remember on the old release.
I calibrate with Video Essentials, tweeking a little.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
o.k., it ain't so.
(snipped from DVDFile's 9/2/2001 review of Total Recall)
Video: How Does The Disc Look?
The film's theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 is presented in anamorphic video and the transfer is excellent. Ritek Digital Studios is apparently responsible and they deserve kudos. The images are nicely detailed but almost completely devoid of edge artifacts in the form of halos, creating a very film-like appearance. Colors are great, richly painted to the screen and noise free. Brightness and contrast track very well. Subtle detail in dark scenes remains. I did not see any compression artifacts. If I had to voice any complaint, it would be that for one or two of the exterior Mars scenes, the red was a bit too dominant; but, I suspect that this might be traced back to the film elements.
(end snip)
So, there you go. Two different reviews, two different opinions. Take both with a grain of salt and assume that the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Bryan
[Edited last by Bryan_ZZ on September 06, 2001 at 02:24 PM]
[Edited last by Bryan_ZZ on September 06, 2001 at 02:24 PM]

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
((whoops, wasn't thinking))
Hopefully I'll be able to check this title out tomorrow evening. If there's any justice in the world I'll actually be able to sit down this weekend and watch a few movies. Been kinda busy lately.
Tom
p.s. The packaging sucks ass. I've never replaced any of my snapper cases with keep cases, but this will be the first. I'll be looking for cover art and throwing the other thing in the closet.
[Edited last by Tom J. Davis on September 06, 2001 at 11:34 PM]
[Edited last by Steve Tannehill on September 06, 2001 at 11:48 PM]
[Edited last by Tom J. Davis on September 07, 2001 at 12:56 AM]

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Total Recall is my all-time favorite Arnold movie. However, I feel the current (special edition) DVD transfer ruins the pitched hues and velvety texture the film was originally intended to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks