What's new

New Tomb Raider game exclusive to PS2/PC (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Whether you like the Tomb Raider series or not it has shifted a serious amounts of games, especially here in the UK, so it wouldnt surprise me at all if Sony have indeed secured it for the PS2...

"Around 400 journalists are massing in London for the nveiling of Tomb Raider Next Generation. While Eidos is remaining tight-lipped on exact details for the event, to be held at Ibiza spin-off club Pacha, a name change is extremely likely for the title. Expect something along the lines of "The Adventures the Lara Croft". Do not expect to see the game on Xbox or GameCube any time soon.

Rumour is heavily suggesting that the next Tomb Raider game will only appear on PlayStation 2 and PC. London papers are already running stories with headlines such as "Lara spurns Xbox". Members of the Xbox- and Nintendo-only media contacted today confirmed they will not be attending the event."

Update, just read this on the BBC news site:

"In Tomb Raider: The Angel Of Darkness, Lara is framed for a murder and must battle to clear her name.

Core Design and Eidos Interactive, the companies behind Tomb Raider, say the game will be launched on 15 November, in time for Christmas.

In a boost for Sony, which faces stiff competition from two new entrants to the games console market this year, the new game will only be available for its PlayStation 2 machine."

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I know you started out by saying "Whether you like the Tomb Raider series or not..." but I can't just overlook the fact of whether or not I LIKE a game. If I owned stock in the companies involved, maybe I would care about this, but otherwise I can't think of anything more boring than yet another Tomb Raider game. Enough already.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Has anyone else seen the screenshots yet? Lara has clearly been hanging around with Solid Snake a fair bit. Check Link Removed for a bit of fun.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
:laugh::laugh:
I can understand everybody's apathy about the release of yet another tomb raider game, but aside from a couple days playing 'the last revelation' on my old PC I have no experience with this series at all.
I would much prefer to see a cross platform "Thief" game. (aside from those who would scoff at the blasphemy of seeing Thief on a console).
Joseph

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
How can people say "yawn" for a game that doesn't exist? I don't know what this new tomb raider will be like and neither do any of you. But I'm will to wait and see what it will be like before passing judgement.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Whatever.

Eidos deserves that yawn! After passing the same game off as a "new experience" in 4 sequals they can take my yawn to the bank.

Of course I'll judge the final game as it stands. I'm judging Eidos' history with this once-great franchise...not the forthcoming game. That said, you've got to wonder if they still have it in them to innovate.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I think a lot of people just don't "trust" Core to re-invent the series after they've promised to do that for the last two or three games.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I would much prefer to see a cross platform "Thief" game. (aside from those who would scoff at the blasphemy of seeing Thief on a console).
Thief III is coming to the Xbox 1st and the PC 2nd. It's one of my favorite PC games ever and, I can't wait to see what it's going to be like on the Xbox. With it's phenomenal gameplay backed with; this time, killer graphics, it should be one the best Thief's ever. Well, as long as the story is as good as before.
Oh yeah, not to mention 5.1 DD. :emoji_thumbsup:
As for Tomb Raider, I played the original, the sequel, skipped the 3rd, and played the 4th one on the Dreamcast. Enjoyed them all but, it was without a doubt, a VERY worn out-dated and tired game. If it wasn't for the fact that I like exploring game environments so much, I probably wouldn't have played beyond the sequel.
There better be much more than just some gee-whiz graphics upgrade to this "new" Tomb Raider series to make much of a difference.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Based on what I've read, the developers were actually mad that they kept making the same game over and over, which is why they changed a LOT for the next TR game.

I know people have grown tired of the series, but other game series' are even more repetitive than this and still get critical acclaim. Resident Evil's core gameplay hasn't changed that much (if at all) from the first game to the third (and Code: Veronica) other than the weapons, enemies, storylines, and a 180 turn button. Other than that, only one of the games is in true 3-D and the differences pretty much end there. Yet everyone just LOVES these games.

You really should look more into the game before dismissing it as yet another rehash of the first TR. You haven't played it and have probably seen very little media from it.

Oh yeah, the PS2/PC exclusivity isn't new news.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I have been following alot of previews for this game, hoping for something that would achieve the level of the original Tomb Raider. In every preview, there is a lot of lip service paid to how they are "re-inventing" the game, how it will be a truly "next-gen" game, and how everyone was sick of the sequels and that this will redeem the series. But once they start describing the game it sounds like the same old game, made worse by adding a new character & reducing Lara's role (I call this "Sonic Syndrome").

So far it sounds like crap. Pretty crap, but still crap.

Core has earned this skepticsm, and I've seen nothing to dissuade it.

-Dave

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You really should look more into the game before dismissing it as yet another rehash of the first TR.
You know, I'd *love* a re-hash of the first TR. That's my problem with the series, it's progressed further & further away from the core gameplay I loved in the original game. I've played through it many times on the Saturn & PC, I got my mum addicted to it & helped her through it a couple of times too.

There was an incredible sense of exploration & of hidden dangers. A "real" feeling world to explore & climb - if you could see a ledge, chances were you could reach it & there was a real reward there. Some amazing, for the time, setpieces like the TRex, the waterfalls, the cistern level, etc. The focus was on exploration with combat being secondary. And yes, the Lara Croft character was new & interesting - the cutscenes, the voiceacting made her a fun role to play in the game.

The two sequels just didn't do it for me, four was abysmal, and I've been finding myself tempted to pick up Chronicles purely because a friend recently said it took a step back to the original style in places.

This one, from what they've shown, in 2/3rds of the game is very different to classic "Tomb Raider". That's no bad thing - they definitely need to renew the series in a way to build upon the fanbase. A mishmash of ideas & a large dash of MGS may be the way to do it.

Interesting fact - Core already have a team working on the sequel to "Angel of Death". Back to the yearly updates I guess.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I thought I read an article about the original creator of TR started his own development team and was developing a character/game similar to Ms. Croft/TR? It sounded actually very cool. Whatever happened to that?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The two sequels just didn't do it for me, four was abysmal, and I've been finding myself tempted to pick up Chronicles purely because a friend recently said it took a step back to the original style in places.
And if anyone cares (and I'm sure they don't) I just bought it from Best Buy for $9.99.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The more I see of Galleon, the more I'm looking forward to it. Kinda the inverse of Tomb Raider. :) Galleon just looks so smoooooth....
-Dave

Dan B

Screenwriter
In a boost for Sony, which faces stiff competition from two new entrants to the games console market this year, the new game will only be available for its PlayStation 2 machine."
Brian B, you forgot to say "For now" or "...until they release it for another system a couple months later" :D
BTW, I got my dad's girlfriend hooked on Tomb Raider also.
-Dan B.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think in this case, it'll stay exclusive - Sony paid off Eidos for an exclusive deal in the past, why not repeat the pleasure? And Eidos sure need a money hat right now.

As for Galleon... I heard it had some *really* fancy & cool animations, character designs etc & look real impressive... Three years ago.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
From the last report on Galleon I read, they have something playable up, but its struggling to stay in double-digit framerates. On an X-Box.

Either there is a hell of a lot of debug code in there, or I'm going to be having no fun playing it on my (already looking dated) week-old PS2.

As for the idea that Lara is going to be joined by a second character - surely thats one MGS2 idea too far for them?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The videos that I have seen of Galleon were incredibly fluid. If there are framerate problems in other areas, I hope they can get them up to the same standard.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks