New Tomb Raider game exclusive to PS2/PC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul h, Mar 21, 2002.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Whether you like the Tomb Raider series or not it has shifted a serious amounts of games, especially here in the UK, so it wouldnt surprise me at all if Sony have indeed secured it for the PS2...

"Around 400 journalists are massing in London for the nveiling of Tomb Raider Next Generation. While Eidos is remaining tight-lipped on exact details for the event, to be held at Ibiza spin-off club Pacha, a name change is extremely likely for the title. Expect something along the lines of "The Adventures the Lara Croft". Do not expect to see the game on Xbox or GameCube any time soon.

Rumour is heavily suggesting that the next Tomb Raider game will only appear on PlayStation 2 and PC. London papers are already running stories with headlines such as "Lara spurns Xbox". Members of the Xbox- and Nintendo-only media contacted today confirmed they will not be attending the event."

Update, just read this on the BBC news site:

"In Tomb Raider: The Angel Of Darkness, Lara is framed for a murder and must battle to clear her name.

Core Design and Eidos Interactive, the companies behind Tomb Raider, say the game will be launched on 15 November, in time for Christmas.

In a boost for Sony, which faces stiff competition from two new entrants to the games console market this year, the new game will only be available for its PlayStation 2 machine."

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yawn...

3. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I know you started out by saying "Whether you like the Tomb Raider series or not..." but I can't just overlook the fact of whether or not I LIKE a game. If I owned stock in the companies involved, maybe I would care about this, but otherwise I can't think of anything more boring than yet another Tomb Raider game. Enough already.

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Has anyone else seen the screenshots yet? Lara has clearly been hanging around with Solid Snake a fair bit. Check http://cdr.sine.com/trclone.jpg for a bit of fun.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I can understand everybody's apathy about the release of yet another tomb raider game, but aside from a couple days playing 'the last revelation' on my old PC I have no experience with this series at all.
    I would much prefer to see a cross platform "Thief" game. (aside from those who would scoff at the blasphemy of seeing Thief on a console).
    Joseph

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

How can people say "yawn" for a game that doesn't exist? I don't know what this new tomb raider will be like and neither do any of you. But I'm will to wait and see what it will be like before passing judgement.

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Whatever.

Eidos deserves that yawn! After passing the same game off as a "new experience" in 4 sequals they can take my yawn to the bank.

Of course I'll judge the final game as it stands. I'm judging Eidos' history with this once-great franchise...not the forthcoming game. That said, you've got to wonder if they still have it in them to innovate.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Mike, I think a lot of people just don't "trust" Core to re-invent the series after they've promised to do that for the last two or three games.

9. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Based on what I've read, the developers were actually mad that they kept making the same game over and over, which is why they changed a LOT for the next TR game.

I know people have grown tired of the series, but other game series' are even more repetitive than this and still get critical acclaim. Resident Evil's core gameplay hasn't changed that much (if at all) from the first game to the third (and Code: Veronica) other than the weapons, enemies, storylines, and a 180 turn button. Other than that, only one of the games is in true 3-D and the differences pretty much end there. Yet everyone just LOVES these games.

You really should look more into the game before dismissing it as yet another rehash of the first TR. You haven't played it and have probably seen very little media from it.

Oh yeah, the PS2/PC exclusivity isn't new news.

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I have been following alot of previews for this game, hoping for something that would achieve the level of the original Tomb Raider. In every preview, there is a lot of lip service paid to how they are "re-inventing" the game, how it will be a truly "next-gen" game, and how everyone was sick of the sequels and that this will redeem the series. But once they start describing the game it sounds like the same old game, made worse by adding a new character & reducing Lara's role (I call this "Sonic Syndrome").

So far it sounds like crap. Pretty crap, but still crap.

Core has earned this skepticsm, and I've seen nothing to dissuade it.

-Dave

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I thought I read an article about the original creator of TR started his own development team and was developing a character/game similar to Ms. Croft/TR? It sounded actually very cool. Whatever happened to that?

14. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The more I see of Galleon, the more I'm looking forward to it. Kinda the inverse of Tomb Raider. [​IMG] Galleon just looks so smoooooth....
    -Dave

17. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I think in this case, it'll stay exclusive - Sony paid off Eidos for an exclusive deal in the past, why not repeat the pleasure? And Eidos sure need a money hat right now.

As for Galleon... I heard it had some *really* fancy & cool animations, character designs etc & look real impressive... Three years ago.

19. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

From the last report on Galleon I read, they have something playable up, but its struggling to stay in double-digit framerates. On an X-Box.

Either there is a hell of a lot of debug code in there, or I'm going to be having no fun playing it on my (already looking dated) week-old PS2.

As for the idea that Lara is going to be joined by a second character - surely thats one MGS2 idea too far for them?

20. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The videos that I have seen of Galleon were incredibly fluid. If there are framerate problems in other areas, I hope they can get them up to the same standard.

-Dave