What's new

new to home theater, how is this for a start (1 Viewer)

Chad_Louis

Grip
Outlaw 1050 receiver

Paradigm Monitor 7's up front

Paradigm CC370 center channel

Paradigm mini-monitors for rears

A sub

I really like the Paradigm Monitor series, so I feel that that part of my system is for the most part set, unless I find something that blows me away in the same price range. Where my system gets murkier for me is in the receiver and sub. As for the receiver, I am looking at the Onkyo 595, Harman/Kardon 320 and the Denon 1802. Suggestions and pros and cons for this choice welcome. Lastly, which sub should I get? I love paradigm's stuff, but don't like their PS subs because they are bandpass subs. I really want an accurate, natural sounding sub. I am not after shaking my house to the ground. Which subs would you guys recommend? I like the paradigm 2200 but think it might be a bit out of my price range (I would like to keep the sub under $700) Thanks for any input.

Ashok

Agent
For a sub, you could get a SVS 25-31PC under $700. The other powered subs will be a bit more. Or you could go with one from the CS series and get a cheaper amp (or the Samson that SVS sells).

For the receivers, I would say the Outlaw and H/K are a step above the Denon and Onkyo. Maybe the Denon 2802 and Onkyo 696 would be a slightly fairer comparison. But if these are the ones in your price range, I would go with the Outlaw or H/K. The Outlaw will give you 6.1 sound (you would need a separate amp to power a 6th or 7th channel with the H/K), but it is lacking the DPL2 and Logic 7 modes as well as component video switching of the H/K. Choose what will make the greatest difference to you, and listen to as many choices as you can.

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I have the outlaw as well, and while it might not have all the bells and whistles as alot of the other recievers in it's price range it sounds great and has something alot of other recievers don't. a full set of pre outs. That means you can fairly cheaply upgrade to seperates. In the near future I plan on buying a five channel amp and use the 1050 as a preamp. then latter it will be easy to upgrade to a dedicated preamp. Most recievers in this price range don't alow that.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Cheap, college student, trying to keep Sub under $700? Get real man, you aren't a CHEAP college student. You don't KNOW what cheap is!
My whole system is well under $700.
-ELMO, the REAL cheap college student.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks