What's new

New to DVD-A and SACD-Got Some Questions (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
I just purchased my first Universdal player-the Pioneer DV-563A- I currently have it hooked up to a Yamaha DSP-A1 through the receivers external decoders 5.1 inputs. The DVD-A seems to work fine, I tested it out on Queen's the game disc-but my first question is, is it normal to have some songs use the center channel and other songs not? The first track definetely utilized the center channel but it seems other songs (with vocals) do not at all-maybe someone could clarify this for me.
My second question is I had some trouble playing SACD(DSOTM)-I could not get it to play multichannel-Is there something in the player menu that I am missing?-it seemed DVDA was easier-because I could specifically go into a menu fromt he disc and select DTS or whatever.
Third- is there something I can do to increase Bass from
the Sub-I know this has been covered before-but wasn't sure since my receiver is a few years old now. Sorry for the all the questions- any input appreciated
Tim

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
As for your question about the center channel, it depends on how the disk was recorded. I just bought Three Doors Down on SACD and I don't think any of the songs utilize the center channel. Actually I was joking to a friend of how they should have listed it as 4.1. I have the DV-667A which is kin to your unit. You will need to go in setup menu, I think it's the one on the bottom right. It will ask you what languge hit enter and it will run you through a bunch of others. Just keep hitting enter turning everything on.

~C.C.~

Ted S.

Auditioning
Tim L,
I just found this forum and your thread from a google search because I also have a DSP-A1 and I just bought the DV-536A.

I was having the same problem with SACD only being played back in stereo. I found out that it really is not a problem because two of the SACD discs that I purchased are NOT MultiChannel. That is iwhy there is no 5.1 playback. If the SACD discs you own do not say "MultiChannel", they will only play back in a higher resolution stereo. I also have The Dark Side of the Moon hybrid SACD and that is multichannel.

I know it's been a few weeks since you posted this thread but I thought I should just let you know if you haven't discovered that yet.

Are the SACD discs you are playing in MultiChannel format??

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Tim,

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai and found that I need to first make sure the player is set to a 5.1 channel format (Dolby Digital) before I select the 5.1 multi-channel input on my Outlaw 950 pre/pro to listen to DVD-A or SACD.

I don't know if this is any help, but thought I would try to help.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There is a set-up option that sets the player for 2 CH or 5.1; it must be set to 5.1. This applies to ALL formats using the analog connections.

Secondly, there is a setting for SACD (Multi channel, 2CH Hi-Rex, or Redbook). It must be set to MC SACD for discs like DSOTM to play in MC. Choosing between MC and 2CH on a SACD is done the player's menu on the Pio players.

DVD-A's have a player menu setting for either DVD-A or DVD-V. You must set it to DVD-A to play back the hi-rez tracks on those discs.

Once that is set, you choose between the MC or 2 CH hi-rez tracks on a DVD-A via a menu on the disc.

Here is a link to a FAQ that covers a few other player set-up questions:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

BGL

Shane PG

Auditioning
I have a 563a, as well, I have the Audio hooked up via digital coax, the guy at Circuit City told me I had to hook up the 5 channel outputs to get SACD and DVD-A, I have not tried either yet, no SACD or DVD-A dics yet.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind also...that the reciever you use, needs to be set for 6 or 8 channel analog input.(Depending on reciever) I've a Pioneer 47TX and if you don't, and leave it looking at your DVD player through the digital input and the reciever on auto, for DVD you'll probably be listening to the DTS part.

The reason for all the headache is for copyright protection for SACD and DVD-A.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks