What's new

New Subwoofer, no sound (1 Viewer)

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my new (used) Hsu VTF-2 from a HTF member. It appears to be in good shape, but I cannot get it to work.

I tried a subwoofer cable straight from the sub port (reciever) to the RCA port on the sub. Nothing. Not even a hum.

I tried cables running from speaker output to sub, then onwards to speakers. Un-listenable, it was all sub, with huge electronic noise whenever a certain freq was reached. I had to disconnect it because I was afraid it would hurt the unit.

I think I have my reciever settings correct.

Any ideas. I was really looking forward to this thing, but can't seem to get it operational.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You think you have your receiver settings correct? It doesn't sound like you do. You've already proved the sub works by hooking it up via speaker level input. (Being bass heavy in this setup only means you did not have it properly setup).

Settings to check: Sub = yes, Sub settings - LFE only / LFE + mains or something to that effect. If set to LFE only, you will only get bass with DD/DTS material (not all receivers have this option). Then speaker sizes, as you may have to set some or all of your speakers to small to route bass to the sub or based on the sub config, you may be able to have the mains set to large but still use the sub.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
I have the mains set to small, the LFE to both mains and subs, but I cannot find a setting turning LFE on or off. Would this be a separate control?

To top it off I cannot find the manual for my reciever to work through the menues. I know the sub works because it will make sound (really badly) when hooked to the main speakers. The LFE cable appears to be carrying no signal at all. The speaker makes no sound at all when hooked up this way.

I think the sub is OK, but I figured it would have worked properly when the speaker lines went to it, and then out to the speakers. This was not the case. It was all hum, electronic noise, etc... Because of it being unuseable with the speakers hooked through it I went back to the LFE direct line (using an RCA plug cable). This didn't work so I bought a new cable at best buy. That didn't work either.

Just getting a bit frustrated.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I just got a VTF-2, there's a couple things to check:
  • First of all, mine came with a port plug, which I left in one of the ports, since I plan to use the full 25Hz extension. It might be in the wrong port, I put it on the left side port, if the controls are facing you. If you haven't already, set the bass extension to 25Hz, it's better sounding anyway.
    It may be packing material, shine a flashlight into the ports to see if anything from the package is in there.
    Make sure the sub is plugged into an outlet, not the switched plug on the actual receiver.
    Check that the cable from the "Sub Out" on the receiver goes to the plug labeled "Mono" on the sub.
    I don't know what receiver you have, but on my H/K 320, I have all speakers set to small, sub set to LFE only, and crossover at 80Hz.
    Finally, see if the sub cable is unidirectional. Mine is, so the arrow points from the receiver to the sub.
Check those out, and let us know if it still isn't working.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I'll check out the sub cable. I bought a decent $20 cable at best buy, but just plugged it in. Maybe it is backwards.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up a spare subwoofer from a friend. Will plug it in and test it out when I get home. Should be able to tell if it is the sub or the reciever settings based on component swapout. If it works, then the sub is bad, if not then I have a reciever/settings problem.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I just did a swap test with test subwoofer. That one ran fine.

Sounds like the main speaker is blown. VERY ragged bass that cuts in and out randomly, and sounds horrible. No crossover to speak of. Hsu doesn't respond until a certain point, then it comes on in a big way. Sounds like a diesel truck engine roaring.

Crap, I was looking forward to this sub for 6 months.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, didn't know you had a thread already, I started one also. He has my old sub but for some reason it isn't working for him. It worked perfectly when I shipped it i even used the subwoofer low level input cables which he says doesn't work at all.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't not responding till a certain point be the crossover setting?? Also coming on in a big way, would mean the volume is way up on the sub. Also you said electronic noise before now you say its ragged like a diesel truck. Did the electronic noise quit? When did the ragged sound begin?

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Mystery solved (I think). Sub evidently took a hit in shipping and woofer is blown. The speaker fabric does not move in and out easily because the magnets partially separated from the speaker and the whole assembly now has a slight cant. That also explains how sub would only come on at certain frequencies. Magnet was sticking and preventing movement until a point was reached, then it moved, but performed badly then.

Speaker element on way back to Hsu today. I'll post once all is well as a sort of review on the customer service experience I get.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Mystery solved (I think). Sub evidently took a hit in shipping and woofer is blown. The speaker fabric does not move in and out easily because the magnets partially separated from the speaker and the whole assembly now has a slight cant. That also explains how sub would only come on at certain frequencies. Magnet was sticking and preventing movement until a point was reached, then it moved, but performed badly.

Speaker element on way back to Hsu today. I'll post once all is well as a sort of review on the customer service experience I get.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That sucks. Had a similar thing happen recently with movers and some bookshelf speakers. Pulled them out, hooked them up and one of the tweeters on one was actually ripped out of the cabinet and stuck to the midrange driver. :thumbsdown: With the grill on, you couldn't tell, but as soon as I fired them up, it was horribly obvious. There was no visible damage on the cabinets, so that means they dropped the box (original packaging) just right to kill only one of them.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Opened the sub on monday, found the problem and sent the woofer to Hsu by FEDEX. Less that 48 hours later I have recieved a brand new part, installed it, and all seems well. I will give it a workout tonight.

Hsu customer service has been top notch.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Scott, did you have to pay for the return shipping on their DOA product? Please let us know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks