What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Is there a Bryan Fuller show that hasn't had extensive problems? I'm not saying that to insult the guy, but every example I can think of things he's worked on has been problematic. I really think that Trek may have dodged a bullet by not having him involved.
The only two I can think of that really had extensive problems were "Dead Like Me" (in which he was forced out after a creative dispute) and "Heroes" (in which he was not involved with the problems). "Dead Like Me" was a great show pretty much the whole way through (except for the terrible direct-to-video follow-up movie), but it was better before Fuller left than it was after Fuller left.

"Wonderfalls", "Pushing Daisies" and "Hannibal" were cancelled before their stories were complete, but everything I've read seems to point to smooth productions. And "Wonderfalls" in fact is a strong contender for best show that only lasted one season. (behind perhaps "My So-Called Life", "Freaks and Geeks" and "Firefly")

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yet another delay for the show. No premiere time period is now mentioned.

They've cast James Frain as Sarek, presumably a series regular or semi-regular.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...delayed-again-as-spocks-father-is-cast-965494

These delays do not bode well for the show. Pretty soon we're going to have to change the name of this thread.

That's sad. The Star Trek franchise is almost a guaranteed winner but sounds like it may end up not turning out well.

Never realized until I read the link you posted, but this is also going to be one of those CBS All Access shows. :eek:

I'm not paying another fee to watch a show, my Dish payment is already over $100 a month, so this one won't be on my schedule.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Surprised to read they're including Sarek. That will be a nice continuity to the rest of the franchise.

I wouldn't write the series off yet because of these delays. I can imagine they've got a lot of expectations on their shoulders and have much to live up to. So I'm going to wait to see what they come up wirh.

I'm also expecting the snafu of that crude preview CGI clip of the Discovery leaving space dock, and the harsh (justifiably) reaction to it should have the art director reworking the design. Or what we saw was a very basic initial model that had not been refined yet. So I am hopeful the extra time will be put to good use.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I am hoping that by the time it debuts they will have realized that just having it on CBS All Access is a mistake and maybe they will distribute it through Netflix in the US as well (like they are doing everywhere else in the world).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have been a Trek fan for 35 of my 38 years on this planet. I will always want the best for this franchise and be a cheerleader or a critic, whichever is more appropriate.

Right now, aside from Anthony Rapp, nothing is making me believe this show is going to be a success. Release dates keep getting pushed, Bryan Fuller is gone, it's going to be on a subscription service and I can't generate an ounce of enthusiasm for it. That's saying something about me as a fan or the where the franchise currently stands.

This just makes me wonder what would have happened if Paramount and CBS could have played nicely when JJ Abrams was involved in the reboot. Would we be seeing a universe like the one being created with Star Wars? Probably. Too bad, really.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
These delays are beyond ridiculous.

They're going to "develop" and focus group and test and plot things thing to death instead of just going out and making a television show. Some of the very best of Star Trek came about because writers and producers had to figure out how to get something on the screen in time for next week's airdate. Those restrictions and pressures are what shaped the shows into the things we know and love. All of this planning and delaying sounds like a recipe for one of those premium cable type shows that looks very pretty but don't have heartbeats.

I mean, seriously, they were trying to have a show ready for the 50th anniversary, and it's not like that date snuck up on them. They missed it before they ever started, and there's been nothing but delays since then. I mean really, they still can't make a date in four or five months? How much of a disaster are things over there that they can't pull it together between now and then?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
“I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.". Sorry for the Yoda quote. The line kept bouncing around in my head. I can understand your guys frustration. But in the big scheme of things it's not the end of the world. ( and I'm not aiming this at you Josh. :). )

I hate to sound like the old guy, but I've found as I get more "seasoned", to quote Troi, I've become far more patient. I doubt they're doing any focus group reviews or are overdeveloping things. The Good Fight was filmed likely on the standing sets of The Good Wife and casting was probably easier with some cast members coming from The Good Wife. That show didn't need phaser and communicator props designed and built and new starfleet uniforms designed. I'm sure there was likely some time wasted at the start if Fuller was that over loaded with projects. So no doubt there was time wasted and they dropped the ball to some degree. I agree Josh that they knew the 50th Anniversary date was looming.

My take, it could simply be mismanagement of the project at the start. Then the time needed to create a whole new world from scratch. Maybe the shift to Canada could have delayed things. Though that doesn't wash as Supergirl picked up the second season quite well. Josh, you were at the panels for Discovery at the recent Convention where Meyer attended. So you have more insight and I wasn't, so I can be totally misguided in my trust of their sincerity.

Anyway, to end this post, I am not trying to invoke more frustration or anger. My impression is they are taking the time they need to make a good product. Hopefully the wait will he worth it and they deliver a good series. Certainly worth the literal fee for entry as well. May you find your way as pleasant.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Jason was a Star Trek fan at the age of three. I can't remember if I was a fan of ANYTHING at the age of three. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Lolz! I was a Star Wars fan straight out of the womb (literally). I was watching behind the scenes specials and the movies very very early. My father loves TOS so he introduced it to me really early.

Funny story: he insisted on watching the original episodes before going out on a date with my mother back in the day. They're watch and then go out. She'll still tell the story today. Kinda tells you where I got it from.

I begged my parents to let me watch TMP on ABC somewhere around 5 or 6 years old. Yeah, I got into this early.

Now...I get what you're saying, Nelson, about the delay and getting it right. For me, the longer the show doesn't debut, the more I don't care about it. I'm more interested in seeing DS9 and VOY in HD or continuing my massive read through of all the novels or something like that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, you were at the panels for Discovery at the recent Convention where Meyer attended. So you have more insight and I wasn't, so I can be totally misguided in my trust of their sincerity.

The thing was, that panel did not go over well - the panel was either unable or unwilling to discuss the show in any kind of detail, and gave no insight as to what it would be about, when exactly it took place, casting, what kind of leads they were looking for, or really anything. They showed that really bad promotional video of the ship that didn't really get much of a response, and they kinda deflected all the questions. Mostly they talked about how Bryan Fuller was a genius and would know what to do. Well, Bryan Fuller isn't on the show anymore, so what's plan B? I realize that it was probably a terrible time for them to do a panel since they had nothing they felt comfortable discussing or nothing they were allowed to discuss. It was a frustrating experience because everyone in that room should have been the most opening, welcoming, best audience they'd likely have, and they didn't taken advantage of that.

The whole project is clearly mismanaged - these days are taking longer than the entire preproduction period for other shows. Other television creators have put better shows on the air with less time than they've taken on this. They announced this show in 2015 and never even tried to make a 2016 target in the first place. Months before their premiere, they knew they wouldn't make their January date. Now in January, they won't make their May date. Entire projects could have been completed in that time. Heck, Star Trek Beyond was made in less time! The last Star Trek thing that Nicholas Meyer worked on, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, was made in less time.

I think pre-planning and all of that is great, but that the best television comes from... actually making television. TNG is possibly my favorite Trek show, and much of what I love about that show wasn't part of what they had at the beginning. If they had been allowed to develop the show as long as this one has been going on, Worf would never have been a major character and Tasha Yar would have stuck around the entire time. Or go back to the original series - the transporter was invented because they couldn't figure out a way to land the ship each week and stay on budget. Nicholas Meyer is fond of saying that "art thrives on limitations" and the success of Star Trek would be a good example of that. But the current situation seems to be almost designed to avoid any limitations, and in turn, avoiding making any decisions.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The thing was, that panel did not go over well - the panel was either unable or unwilling to discuss the show in any kind of detail, and gave no insight as to what it would be about, when exactly it took place, casting, what kind of leads they were looking for, or really anything. They showed that really bad promotional video of the ship that didn't really get much of a response, and they kinda deflected all the questions. Mostly they talked about how Bryan Fuller was a genius and would know what to do. Well, Bryan Fuller isn't on the show anymore, so what's plan B? I realize that it was probably a terrible time for them to do a panel since they had nothing they felt comfortable discussing or nothing they were allowed to discuss. It was a frustrating experience because everyone in that room should have been the most opening, welcoming, best audience they'd likely have, and they didn't taken advantage of that.

I think this speaks to the whole problem for me. (BTw, thank you again Josh for your insights at the panel.)

They couldn't discuss anything last year because they had nothing to talk about. No actual concepts, no good footage, no casting. Just a general idea of the show, the creative team and CBS All Access. That's it. They felt they had to say something with the 50th anniversary, but it was essentially the emperor having no clothes.

TNG came together and got on the air (with a brand new distribution model) in about a year. It was announced in October 1986, cast announced in May 1987 and on the air September 1987.

Discovery was announced November 2015. First casting was announced late last year-over a year from announcement. And we still have no actual premiere date.

What's wrong with this picture?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Did any of you guys actually read the article at the link?

Production begins on Monday, 1/24. Its the Premiere date that was pushed back again.

Another *production* delay would have been worrisome. Release date being rescheduled? Eh, whatever.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Jason was a Star Trek fan at the age of three. I can't remember if I was a fan of ANYTHING at the age of three. :)

One of my vague, earlier memories is of watching the premiere of Encounter At Farpoint.

I wouldn't say I was a Star Trek fan for a few more years, though... probably after it hit nightly syndication on the local Fox channel, say 1990 or 1991?

Now I really did love Happy Days at that point, but this thread isn't about CBS Access's Happy Days continuation, Happier Days. :laugh:

Anyway, another delay? They're really killing what enthusiasm I had for this show. That's the best I can say at this point. The show feels like Homer Simpson's pig he was going to bar-b-q, and we're watching it fly away and saying "It's just a little airborne, it's still good!"

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Starting production next week for a May release that's now not a May release, and on top of that, the assumption is all 13 episodes won't be available at once. So a 4-month lead time is not enough, despite months of pre-production.

I hope the show knocks me on my ass, but I don't see how it can. They're either inept or being precious, neither of which is good.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Another delay for the launch is decidedly not good.

For one thing there have been EW magazine promos citing the May release. These were in "Most Anticipated TV series for 2017" lists.

And is the plan to still air the first episode on CBS? If so, slipping past May pushes them beyond the "May sweeps" and the formal end of the 2016-2017 TV "Season". They may as well wait until September to air the first ep! But, then, reading the article linked above --- where they talk about there being "no pressure" to meet a release date due to the streaming model --- implies that that plan has now been junked.

If nothing else, this has become a marketing disaster of the first order!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Did any of you guys actually read the article at the link?

Production begins on Monday, 1/24. Its the Premiere date that was pushed back again.

Another *production* delay would have been worrisome. Release date being rescheduled? Eh, whatever.

It's really not whatever. We should have seen episode 1 by now, according to the first date. Now filming hasn't even started yet.

Then we expected to see episode 1 about four months from the start date of filming (May). That's not going to happen.

Now there isn't even a release date for episode 1. What successful media launches have ever been delayed twice and then had a TBD release date?

Why would they need four months of post-production on each episode? The only reason I can come up with is they want all the episodes complete before episode 1 airs. Will they all be available at the same time instead of one a week? Is this part of the international distribution deal?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
All of these problems that keep popping up just reinforce my belief that CBS (and Paramount) have no idea what they are doing with Star Trek.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's really not whatever. We should have seen episode 1 by now, according to the first date. Now filming hasn't even started yet.

Then we expected to see episode 1 about four months from the start date of filming (May). That's not going to happen.

Now there isn't even a release date for episode 1. What successful media launches have ever been delayed twice and then had a TBD release date?

Why would they need four months of post-production on each episode? The only reason I can come up with is they want all the episodes complete before episode 1 airs. Will they all be available at the same time instead of one a week? Is this part of the international distribution deal?
They start filming on Monday.

I suspect they do indeed want all episodes done before they first air. Lots of shorter run shows do this now, such as Game of Thrones. Especially if they have overarching storylines, lots of visual effects, and no set runtime because of the lack of commercials. Sometimes they move a scene from one episode to another in post because it tells the story better.

This really isn't all that unusual. The more TV show production and movie production merge in their processes and distribution the more you'll see these types of things.

Ultimately, if the product is good no one will care about any development or production drama. Mad Max: Fury Road was delayed twice and the few who followed the project were wringing their hands over it. What a lot of wasted energy that turned out to be.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think I have, over and over again, mentioned filming starts on Monday.

That being said, if this is the reason for the delay, communicate that. It never hurts to over communicate, especially for a troubled production as this appears to be. This new delay causes a lot of hand wringing that could have been negated by saying "look, we want to have all the episodes done before they debut to make sure we don't need to stop the 13 straight weeks of new episodes in case a production issue comes up."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks