What's new

Spider-Man Homecoming - July 7, 2017 (2 Viewers)

Real Name
Jeff Hutchison
Took my ex-gf's kids to see it. I usually avoid super hero movies because to me, they're all the same. Lots of cgi and special effects with a weak story. This was more of the same. I gave it a 6 on IMDB, which is higher than most super hero movies I've rated in the past, because it had a few amusing tid bits.

I was told to stay to the end of the credits, and I gotta say, it was DISAPPOINTING!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Waste of $12. I should have went by my trailer impression that this would be another pointless reboot. It had action, and humor but to me it just felt lifeless. The Amazing Spider-Man has always been my favorite Marvel character, and collecting comics when I was 11 started with Marvel Tales 142(reprints of the classic Spider-Man from Lee/Ditko) I went back to issue 137(Spidey #1) and month after month read the best comic book stories ever created.

Peter Parker is humble, protects his secret identity as if life depended on it(No Ned please) in constant worry of his sole guardian his aged fragile aunt May. And for the most part a very responsible young man always thinking things through.

The movie missed most all of this. The Mega man Spidey suit just made matters worse. It took the ingenuity, and hard work right out from under Peter Parker.

Nice shout out to "If this be my destiny", but other than that I found it just another tired comic book movie.
Edit: On second thought, how dare the writers steal one of the best parts from such a great three part story from the classic comic and bend it to fit their version of Spider man.

Grade-D+

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'll save my $10-$12 and another $10 on concessions, driving, parking, etc. :rolleyes: Sometimes just not worth the hassle of dealing with "people". Wait a few months until it shows up on PPV or Blu-Ray.

My favorite out of all the attempts is still the Toby McGuire version. But reading lots of good reviews for this, so looking forward to it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'll save my $10-$12 and another $10 on concessions, driving, parking, etc. :rolleyes: Sometimes just not worth the hassle of dealing with "people". Wait a few months until it shows up on PPV or Blu-Ray.

My favorite out of all the attempts is still the Toby McGuire version. But reading lots of good reviews for this, so looking forward to it.
I didn't like the film either and it's my least favorite Marvel film too but if you have any interest in seeing it you should absolutely see it in a theater on the biggest screen you can.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This thread has taken a turn as most of the recent posters did not like the movie. I don't love it, but thought it was pretty good.

I do agree we need more Aunt May, but let's go ahead and retire the "hot Aunt May" jokes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not interested in bringing the thread down, but I don't mind giving my fresh-out-of-the-theater opinion. Besides, the thread was on page two, so discussion had slowed anyway.

To make it less hit-and-run (I don't know the rules, so I'll spoilerize it all):

Somewhere after the midway point (at least it seemed long into the movie), Tony takes away the suit and tells Peter that if the suit is what makes him Spider-Man, he doesn't deserve to have it. Okay, so the entire time I was getting more and more annoyed that this Spider-Man was all about the suit, they were leading up to that point. They went with it too long. I was pretty much done with it by then.

Does this Spider-Man not have Spider-Sense? He doesn't know Ganke is in his room. He doesn't know May is right behind him. He doesn't know the Vulture is launching his wings at him and taking out the support columns. Too bad he didn't have his Stark suit to warn him of the latter.

Again to the point of Peter being more than his suit, I could have used a few more scenes of him doing something requiring strength or agility outside of the suit. Lifting the locker was about it.

I didn't really like any of the set pieces. The ferry thing was spoiled in the trailer and absurd anyway. When Tony showed up, as goofy as the scene was, I just wished I was watching an Iron Man movie. And Spider-Man has been my favorite hero for about the length of time Bryan mentioned. The fight on the plane was just a mess.

I was pretty jazzed about this film, but Tino's post a few days ago gave me pause. Then, I figured, "Hey, this is a guy who thinks Naomi Watts is hideous in Twin Peaks*, so what does he know?" But, it turns out I agreed with him. I, like he, really wanted to like this. :(

* - a blatant lie to bolster my argument!

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Greg, I have no problem with you sharing your thoughts. I was just commenting on something I noticed and to be honest, I agree with you on what you spoilerized. To answer your question
no, this version of Spider-Man does not have Spider-Sense. The filmmakers addressed that at some point prior to its release.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was a fun interpretation of the Spider-Man character set in the MCU. And, of course, it was a continuation of the Peter Parker/Spider-Man/Aunt May characters introduced in the Captain America:Civil War movie from the year before.

As such, I pretty much got exactly what I was expecting from the movie: lots of laughs; plenty of action set pieces (the Washington monument scene made me dizzy!); and enough angst from Michael Keaton’s character to provide an ominous antogonist (the “family reveal” to start the third act knocked me for a loop and had been totally hidden in the trailers). The suit stuff had already been revealed, but it was still fun to see it play out. And the Iron Man scenes were well integrated into the movie and not overdone.

Was it as good as “Wonder Woman”? Heck, no! But it was still a fun time at the movies!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Greg, I have no problem with you sharing your thoughts. I was just commenting on something I noticed and to be honest, I agree with you on what you spoilerized. To answer your question
no, this version of Spider-Man does not have Spider-Sense. The filmmakers addressed that at some point prior to its release.

That's not right. This version of Spider-Man DOES have spider-sense. But, like a lot of Spider-Man staples that many expect to see, the film makers chose to not explore that or depict it in this film because they were trying to "get away from what has been done before".

Spidey is shown to exhibit Spider-Sense in Civil War when he reacts to the object Bucky threw at him from behind. He says "Oh God!" before turning around and dodging it (followed by "Hey Buddy, I think you lost this!"). But they were somewhat subtle in the depiction. And the Russos 100% demonstrate Spider-Sense in the leaked footage from Infinity War.

I liked Homecoming, but I can understand why some aren't thrilled about so many "Spidey Staples" being glossed over or just not explored in the film. I missed them as well and think the movie was worse off (not better off) without them. Lots of room for improvement in the sequel.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That's not right. This version of Spider-Man DOES have spider-sense. But, like a lot of Spider-Man staples that many expect to see, the film makers chose to not explore that or depict it in this film because they were trying to "get away from what has been done before".

Spidey is shown to exhibit Spider-Sense in Civil War when he reacts to the object Bucky threw at him from behind. He says "Oh God!" before turning around and dodging it (followed by "Hey Buddy, I think you lost this!"). But they were somewhat subtle in the depiction. And the Russos 100% demonstrate Spider-Sense in the leaked footage from Infinity War.

I liked Homecoming, but I can understand why some aren't thrilled about so many "Spidey Staples" being glossed over or just not explored in the film. I missed them as well and think the movie was worse off (not better off) without them. Lots of room for improvement in the sequel.

You are correct. I didn't remember the articles correctly last night.

http://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-homecoming-spider-sense/

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'll say this about Spider-Sense. Being that it's a fictional power there will always be some inconsistencies. If you look at the Rami and Webb movies, you can find tons of moments when Peter/Spidey is hit by something that he shouldn't have if the Spider-Sense was 100% consistent.

A common short coming of writers/directors when dealing with "powers" is that they will use a power when it serves the story and kinda ignore it when it doesn't. But most of the time they are just being a bit lazy.

I'm not sure how it has typically been portrayed in the comics, but (at least in the movies) I don't think Spider-Sense is meant to be "intelligent". Meaning, it's not going to warn Peter about something that he doesn't want to happen or is inconvenient for him. I think it will typically warn him when something is moving directly at him, like a reflex (again, the movie version). It has no way of "knowing" what is happening with the supports being taken out, or if someone is sitting/standing in a room that he prefers not to be there. There's no actual "danger" it can sense there.

Edit: Fortunately the Russos have TWO movies to use Spidey before his next solo. I think they'll likely portray this stuff well enough, laying out more of a template, so that Watts can use it instead of trying to figure it out on his own and choosing to just not deal with it.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I saw it tonight and enjoyed it. Of course it was an improvement on The Amazing Spider-Man and Andrew Garfield as Peter. Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite of them all, though.

This iteration of Peter was certainly not as accomplished (I would disagree he was "bumbling" as someone described a few posts back), made his mistakes, but that was the point of his character arc, reaching its height with Stark's tough-love intervention. It worked for me.

Also, saying that he made things worse when he tried to intervene is a matter of perspective, and if I'm not mistaken was a major theme in the last Captain America movie. I also find it a bit like blaming the victim when the onus should really be on the bad guys for doing bad things in the first place -- "If you hadn't fought back, you wouldn't have gotten hurt!"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not sure how it has typically been portrayed in the comics, but (at least in the movies) I don't think Spider-Sense is meant to be "intelligent". Meaning, it's not going to warn Peter about something that he doesn't want to happen or is inconvenient for him. I think it will typically warn him when something is moving directly at him, like a reflex (again, the movie version). It has no way of "knowing" what is happening with the supports being taken out, or if someone is sitting/standing in a room that he prefers not to be there. There's no actual "danger" it can sense there.

It's certainly a power that can be used in different ways from writer to writer, but exposure of Peter's secret identity has always been a major cause of a tingling Spidey sense. The support beams should have set it off, and the wings breaking through behind him would have absolutely set it off (unless you want to say that since they weren't aiming for him, he wasn't in direct danger), but he would have been getting a buzz just talking to Toomes. If Toomes was sincere, maybe not, but his sixth sense would have told him that he was planning something. That doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's the way it's always been used. It's also used to track the spider tracers.

There was an interesting story a couple of years back where Peter had his Spider-sense temporarily suppressed. He was soon shot because he didn't know a gun was targeting him. He also learned that, without his Spider-sense teaming up with his agility, he wasn't much of a fighter--even after years of being Spider-Man. He went to Shang-Chi to learn to fight without relying on his sixth sense. They ultimately didn't do much with that, but it was an interesting approach.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I have to comment on this due to just watching Civil War. I would agree with this comment except that at the end of the fight Spidey was taken out by the Red Wing with Bucky commenting to Sam, "You couldn't have done that earlier."

I don't read comics and am unfamiliar with most of the source material, but I enjoyed Homecoming, and got what I wanted...a Spiderman story in the Marvel universe.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I have to comment on this due to just watching Civil War. I would agree with this comment except that at the end of the fight Spidey was taken out by the Red Wing with Bucky commenting to Sam, "You couldn't have done that earlier."

I don't read comics and am unfamiliar with most of the source material, but I enjoyed Homecoming, and got what I wanted...a Spiderman story in the Marvel universe.

Right, but that is consistent with my interpretation of how the "MCU Spider-Sense works. There is no "intelligence" to it. It is more of a radar that would warn him when something is moving right at him. In Civil War, red wing didn't fly into him. It flee into the path of the web he shot and pulled him away.

So they may not be consistent with that in future movies, but I think so far the portrayal has been relatively consistent with a sense that warns him of "direct danger" if something is moving to hit him but has no "sixth sense intelligence" about it.

Now, somebody yell "NERD!!!" at me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Now, somebody yell "NERD!!!" at me.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It's certainly a power that can be used in different ways from writer to writer, but exposure of Peter's secret identity has always been a major cause of a tingling Spidey sense. The support beams should have set it off, and the wings breaking through behind him would have absolutely set it off (unless you want to say that since they weren't aiming for him, he wasn't in direct danger), but he would have been getting a buzz just talking to Toomes. If Toomes was sincere, maybe not, but his sixth sense would have told him that he was planning something. That doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's the way it's always been used. It's also used to track the spider tracers.

There was an interesting story a couple of years back where Peter had his Spider-sense temporarily suppressed. He was soon shot because he didn't know a gun was targeting him. He also learned that, without his Spider-sense teaming up with his agility, he wasn't much of a fighter--even after years of being Spider-Man. He went to Shang-Chi to learn to fight without relying on his sixth sense. They ultimately didn't do much with that, but it was an interesting approach.

Yeah, they may develop it over time to be more of sixth sense in future movies but I think as it is right now in the MCU it is really just something that detects "direct" threats as in something moving directly at him.

Seems like most superheroes have their powers toned down in one way or another when going from comics to live action because the full comic accurate portrayal of those powers makes it hard for the writers to tell the stories they want to tell. Not impossible, just harder.

Anyway, we'll see what the Russos do with it in the next two Avengers movies. It is definitely portrayed in the leaked footage, but all I saw was a physical manifestation (the hairs standing up on Peter's arm). I didn't see what was supposed to be triggering it.

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Wow, I just dropped in here after catching it on Blu-Ray, and am very surprised to see the general negative reactions to the film.

I absolutely loved it. I thought it was the best film I've seen in a long time. The humor was great, and the story was well grounded; not over the top and with a very well written and sympathetic villain. I not the hugest spider man fan, so maybe that's why I loved it as I didn't have the hang ups other die hard fans have.

And I thought the stinger after the credits was absolutely hilarious! I wish I could have been in the theater for that, to see everyone's reactions. :rolling-smiley:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Heh I'm actually watching it right now.

Love this movie.
So much fun.

The scene leading to the prom when Both Peter and Toomes realize what's happening. Amazing. Nailed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks