What's new

New Safari Beta 2 Web Browser for Mac OSX (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
For those running Mac OS X, has anyone started using the new Safari Beta ?

I grabbed it today and have been testing it out. Pretty nice!
I love the tabbed browsing!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Apple listened and answered with what everyone wanted the most, tabs. Now if you could just set it up to oepn new sites up in a new tab instead of a new window, then Safari would be perfect(or atleast one step closer to perfect :P )

MikeM

Screenwriter
Kelley, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean opening new sites up in an active window instead of a background window?

If so, you can do that. In the Preferences under "Tabs", just check off "Select New Tabs As They Are Created" and then the 'open tabs' prefs get switched so that new tabs are active when selected.

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
My main problem at first was that I need the ability to import/export bookmarks since I also browse in OS 9 (Mozilla), and on a couple of other Macs on the network and I want identical bookmarks for all. To my (pleasant) surprise, Safari Enhancer does it easily, as well as a number of other features, like setting Safari to masquerade as another browser... very handy if the site you're entering does not recognize Safari (e.g., my online banking site). Oh, and it can also remove the metallic skin off of Safari.

I had been using Camino up to now, but Safari is proving to be faster and just as stable.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I've officially switched to Safari. Actually, I was just organizing my bookmarks.

Tabbed browsing was the only thing keeping me on Chimera/Camino. Command clicking a link opens it in a tab (or right clicking).

I also started using the Pop Up Blocker. I never used them in the past because it was always a pain to turn off and on. Apple put it right there in the file menu. (Some sites need popups legitimately.)

Also, for the true geeks, you can write and install a stylesheet that can potentially block all sorts of ads and stuff. Link

Safari is trim and fast. Its about time someone got the fact that a browser should not be bloatware ::cough::M$::cough::

HTF even has a spot on my bookmark bar.

:)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'd been using the latest developer's build before the beta update yesterday, but this is definitely snappier than the last developer's release. Yes, the tabbed browsing is the number one feature on my list of must-haves and I'm grateful they listened to their users. The Auto-Fill is nice, especially since you don't have to enter all of the information again if you already have a card set up in Address Book. Some problem sites I've dealt with in the past are now rendered rather nicely. As far as opening up links in a new tab instead of a new window...check the Tabs preferences for the shortcuts. COMMAND+Click on a link opens the link in a new tab and makes it the active tab. COMMAND+Shift+Click opens the link up in a new tab behind the current one.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I still prefer Camino, but HTF's cookies keeps bringing it down lately. I've been using the tabbed betas for awhile now and my main complaint is the "x" in the tab. All too often I find myself clicking it by accident. Other than that, I'm pleased to see the more recent additions such as key combos to load tabs in front or behind of current tab. (similar to camino and as mentioned above.) Autofill needs some work.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to installing it. I'm shocked at how fast it is.

Speed of page loading has always been a topic amid new browser releases but I've never noticed much of a difference. With Safari it's impossible not to notice the speed difference. It's several times faster than any browser (PC or Mac) out there.

Everything else is typical Apple. Stuff that's been done by others before but Apple takes those ideas and does them right. The result is a very slick product.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I'll agree it's speedy, but I am having problems with cookies. For most sites, it won't remember my cookies, so I have to log back in every time. Except for this site. Even though I log out, I remained logged in. Plus, I'm finding sites that just won't work with Safari. I keep Explorer as a back-up.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Is there anyway to turn OFF the "auto-complete" of URLs?

When in the address bar, once you start typing a URL, Safari automatically tries to fill in the rest of the site's URL. For some reason, I hate this "feature" and would love to be able to turn it off. If anyone knows how, please let me know, thanks.

Another small thing I like about Safari is being able to double-click on the center of a URL in the address bar, and it will only select the heart of the text, (it doesn't select the "www" or the ".com" part.) Sounds like a small thing, but it just makes life easier. I've seen this in mozilla, but it doesn't work in Explorer.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Ok this is as perfect as I think a webbrowser can get :P

Thanks for the tab information.

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
The thing I find annoying is that some sites will have little icons in the address bar and bookmark menus. Is there anyway to disable that?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The thing I find annoying is that some sites will have little icons in the address bar and bookmark menus. Is there anyway to disable that?
The dreaded favicon.ico

Its a thing that started apparently with IE5 for Windows. IE5 would send a request for this file - "favicon.ico" and it would fill up web error logs because no one had one. I put one on my sites just to rid myself of the error messages. Now all browsers seem to retrieve this little icon file.

I personally like them now. It makes picking the site from a list easier in many cases.

No, I don't believe you can turn it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks