What's new

New rumblings of '66 Batman on DVD (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Let's hope you are right. However, since neither company has ever taken advantage of past opportunities (Batman the movie, Batman Returns, Batman and Robin, Batman the Animated Series, etc, etc), I wonder why next year's Batman should make any difference as far as releasing the TV show.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Because TV shows on DVD has never been an issue before. All the films you mention came out between 1989 and 1997. The animated series ran from 1992-1997 or so. The DVD format was introduced in '97, and TV shows on DVD (let alone season sets) were years away.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I hope you are right, but with all the rumors I've heard in the past, about Warner Brothers being embarrassed by the show, and not wanting it to be released so as not to confuse today's public about who they WANT people to think is the real Batman of today, I really don't believe the show will be coming to DVD anytime soon. Still, I hope you are right and a miracle happens.

Carlos.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That's my opinion too, Scott. But when someone says "Fox and Warner are talking" and suggests that it's new news, then I suggest otherwise. That's my main point. I'm not saying the release isn't gonna happen...I'm positive that it will. As has been pointed out, it's too lucrative to let it pass forever. But for now, there just isn't any new news.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am really interested in the Batman TV show coming to DVD. I think 2005 would be a great time to do it with the new movie. I really hope Fox and WB can work something out on this.
WB is also planning to re-release the newer films on DVD as well? I think it would make sense to put the TV show out as well.
Hope there is some news on this soon!!

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching Kill Bill Vol. I again this weekend. Everytime the Green Hornet theme ('Flight of the Bumble Bee') begins to play, I begin thinking about the Hornets' old television show, and how cool it would be to finally own the 2-part Batman episode where the dynamic duo has to face-off against the Green Hornet and Kato!

Batman was easily one of the best and funniest shows to come out of the sixties. The powers that be should get their acts together, as this show will sell like hot cakes!;)

Howie

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I attended a celebrity autograph show in Chicago last month. Adam West was there and I got his autograph. I asked about the show's status and whether he had any news about a DVD release to which he simply replied "No, the last I heard was that there was some legal issues". So, if anything is pending, they haven't let the star of the show know.

I think like many other people and that is that it will be a long time before we see this. The studios will bicker back and forth for years.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In the article at Newsday, the lawyer explains that property rights of comic book characters are more important and lucrative than ever, what with the popularity now of those characters on all kinds of media. Movies are named specifically. What the article didn't mention was TV, books (not comic books, but actual novels), toys (anyone see that Barbie-as-Batgirl doll? I got one!), clothing, and of course DVDs. And much more! Dont' forget lunchboxes, posters, stickers, patches, mugs, postcards, pens, coloring books...you name it!

It's been said for years that comic book artists from that era have always been taken advantage of, rights-wise. Carmine would be in a position to know exactly to what extent, as former Prez of the company. :)

So it took him this long to finally stand up for himself. Fine, who are we to be naysayers?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hey, it worked out for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and their campaign to get compensated for Superman.

Still, here's hoping we still see Batman (1966) Season 1 sometime in 2005.

LizH

Second Unit

He has no case.

If DC commissioned him to revamp Batman and The Flash, that would constitute work-for-hire. Every contract that an artist signs with DC stipulates that the company retains ownership of the character.

He may be entitled to a "Created By" credit for Batgirl ... and that would be about it.

Marcee

Agent
Okay,

I am sooooo glad I taped a lot of these episodes! Of course, it's not the same as a nice crisp DVD copy, but at least I can still get my BAM! WHIFF! POW!
And, the whole music clearance thing confuses me...(it was mentioned in earlier posts). I know that a lot of people need to be paid when certain music is used in anything. BUT, I have ALL 5 seasons of Ally McBeal (mentioned specifically as music-heavy [and it is]) on Region 2. Why can the folks in Europe (and those with multi-region players) get this TV show and those in the US and with Region 1 technology have to wait? And, I've had these for quite a while, so it's not a recent thing. Just a ponder...:frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

My point wasn't whether or not he had a case. My point was that the suit will take time to resolve either way, and during that time it's unlikely that related DVDs will appear.

An e-mail was sent to me suggesting that Birds Of Prey would also be affected, because Oracle appeared as Batgirl in some scenes in an episode or two. I haven't seen BoP, so I don't know.

Did the (Teen) Titans cartoon show Wally West as Flash? If it was artistically the same suit that Barry Allen wore, I suppose it could be affected too. That's another one I haven't seen (don't even recall the correct title right now).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

The old 60s Titans cartoon had the character of Kid Flash (also designed by Infantino), but the new cartoon doesn't feature that character.

Keep in mind that the Justice League cartoons (and Super Friends) feature the Infantino-designed Flash, so if your theory is correct, Warner may have to hold up those releases too. If they don't, then I suspect the Flash 1990 show and the third season of Batman won't be affected.

LizH

Second Unit

She appeared in two episodes: The Pilot and "Lady Shiva".

This is to say nothing of the ANIMATED incarnations of Batgirl ("Batman: The Animated Series" and "Batman Beyond" in particular.)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Is there any hope that this lawsuit could somehow delay the new Catwoman movie?

From what I've heard, we may actually want that movie to be buried in some kind of "legal hell"!! :)

(I still don't understand why TV producers and movie studios think that anybody would be interested in a series like "Birds of Prey" or a movie like "Catwoman", which are essentially Batman shows ... but without Batman!!?)

LizH

Second Unit
First, no one tunes into BOP to see Batman (No one with any SENSE does, at least. He was never intended to be a part of the series.)

One could just as easily ask the question, "Why would anyone tune into 'Smallville'? It's essentially a Superman series ... without Superman."

To answer your question, I thought BOP had colorful characters and an intriguing premise. For all intents and purposes, New Gotham was being protected by a trio of misfits:

* Huntress -- Half-human, half-cat.

* Oracle -- an ex-superhero who's now confined to a wheelchair.

* Dinah -- a teenager who possesses powers beyond imagination.

I figure ... if THEY can make something of themselves, then there's hope for the rest of us. :)

BOP is about refusing to be content with what life dishes out to you. It's about rising above your flaws. It's been an inspiration to people all over the world. :)

As for CW, THAT bothers me. They're doing a bait-and-switch. As far as the masses are concerned, there's only ONE Catwoman (Selina Kyle) ... and SHE'S not even in the picture! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.