What's new

New Robin Hood series coming to BBC America and R1 DVD (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
BBC America has been advertising this a lot, especially during Series 1 re-runs of "Doctor Who". I've been thinking of checking this out, but I'm also thinking of blind buying this when it comes out on DVD after looking at TVShowsOnDVD's news item and what the bonus materials will be included.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6951

Anyone in the UK want to comment about this series? Is it anyone good?

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
While living in the states, I've still *ahem* managed to view the entire series and I found it very enjoyable. Some of the earlier episodes are hit or miss but the actor who plays the Sheriff is excellent - he really chews up the scenery. If you are a fan of Hercules/Xena, you'll like it.

Any word if this will be out on blu-ray? I know BBC/Warner will be releasing the Planet Earth Docu-seriies simultaneously on blu-ray and DVD in April and I know Robin Hood was shot in HD - it aired on the BBC HD channel. I'd rather buy it in HD if possible.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I'm not a fan of "Hercules" or "Xena", but I've always been, somewhat of a fan of "Robin Hood", and from the previews alone, it looks like it might be good. I'll take that in mind that the earlier episodes are hit or miss, when I see it (either on BBC America or on DVD).

No, I haven't heard if this will be on blu-ray.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
How would people compare this series to the wonderful Robin of Sherwood from the 80's?

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I dont know but the fact that Robin of Sherwood is being released in conjunction with the premiere of the BBCAmerica Robin Hood should bring some responses here.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
There is another, Legend of Robin Hood from the 70's with Paul Darrow(Kerr Avon of Blake's 7) as Sheriff of Nottingham recently released on DVD in the UK and I hear tell of a 1989 comedy series about Maid Marian and her Merry Men, also on DVD in the UK. Perhaps they could see US DVD release too? Hopefully?

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the old series from '84, "Robin of Sherwood", was recorded on video or on film? I.e. which version, PAL or NTSC should be better and more correct? I notice the Amazon.com listing says "Original recording remastered" for the R1, but who knows what that means.

Clay_E

Second Unit

Pretty sure it was shot on film, but I couldn't swear to it. It certainly looked like film.

I've heard of the Paul Darrow series, but never seen it - was it any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks