What's new

New Panny 47 on the way...cpl of ?s (1 Viewer)

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Best Buy floor model Panasonic pt47wx49 model with the optional screen protector
(I figure that I can always remove it later if it is a problem) for $1200.00. :)
Off the bat, the picture on the floor was bad, but so were all the other RPTVs on the feed. However, the TV did have a bad red tint to the image. I ordered a service call today in anticipation of delivery of the TV on Tuesday. Is there anything you guys/gals recommend I should have the tech pay particular attention to while servicing the unit say on Wednesday? Any tips?? I just want to make sure I make the most of this first service call (covered by 4 yr. warranty).
BTW, I will be using my Pioneer Elite DV37 to feed the TV. Any recommendations on component video cables?
Also, I have read posts recommending the AVIA test disc as a must. Is this still the consensus?
My center channel weighs in at 36 pounds. The top of the tv seemed sturdy enough but not sure if I should build a shelf to fit on top of the tv to help spread out the weight over the entire top of the tv?
Anything else I should have asked in anticipation of my first RPTV?
Thanks in advance.
;)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
One thing you might want to ask yourself is:
1. How bad is the burn in? Most of the time, RPTV's are run in "torch" mode at Best Buy and other retailers. Burn in is a huge problem.
2. The calibration is usually way off on the WX49 from the factory. The newer WX42 and WX52 series has much better calibration from the factory.
3. The internal doubler in the newer WX42 and WX52 series is far better than the older WX49. This makes a big difference with normal NTSC video and DVD.
Anyhow, just a little to think about.
Probably don't wanna click here :)
In terms of hints on what to tell the tech to look for, make sure you at least take a glance through this site:
http://www.panny.tv/
It's a great resource for Panasonic TV's, especially those WX49's.
AVIA is still probably the best user adjustment disk available right now. There are new ones that should be out soon though.
In terms of component cabling, try going to ebay and searching for "canare component". There are actually some pretty good deals to be had on some really quality cables.
Best of luck!

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link. The price may better on line but I prefer to buy locally for RPTV. Even if that means losing a feature or two. My price was still good enough for me.

I have been to the Panny website- great link. Thanks for the cable recommendation.

Any thoghts on the other questions? The TV is scheduled to arrive on Wed.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Should note that the DV37 Pioneer is not exactly a stellar performer in terms of image quality. It introduces colour speckling into the image which is a bad thing.

Consider replacing it with something else.

Regards

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
The internal doubler in the newer WX42 and WX52 series is far better than the older WX49. This makes a big difference with normal NTSC video and DVD.
Now, I've checked out my friend's WX52(I own a 47WX49), and the big difference you are talking about is not there. Quite simply, there is no difference in picture quality.
Chris

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
just move to chicago from Decatur :)
Took receipt of the TV today and it is awesome. In fact plain old vanilla digital cable looks 100% better than I thought it would. DVD is awesome.
BTW, the tech. is coming on Friday to calibrate it so I expect another 10%+ more in terms of performance. :)
Furthermore, 1200 is not bad for a TV and a 4 year warranty that includes calibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks