What's new

New Onkyo 706! Need set-up advice! (1 Viewer)

confussed1

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
First time poster,but I've been doing some research here for awhile.Lots of friendly and helpful people here!I just picked up an Onkyo 706 to complete my updated HT.The Onkyo is replacing a 10 year old Sony 5.1 receiver.Here's a list of what I have now:

Sony 52" LCD 1080p (w series)
PS3 with the latest updated firmware (HDMI output)
Comcast HD box with HDMI
NEW Onkyo 706
Monster Power HTS2600 MK2 surge/conditioner
Eosone RSF400 tower speakers
Eosone center channel and surrounds (no sub)

Everything seems pretty straightforward to hook up the 706.I'm going to run the PS3 to the 706 with the HDMI and do away with the optical cable.For now,I'm going to leave the Comcast box hooked up directly to the TV with the HDMI cable.I rarely use the receiver for TV broadcasts.Besides,I already have RCA cables going to the old receiver for the TV audio if I want to hear a game in surround.I think I'm going to stick with this setup for the time being.(unless you guys convince me otherwise!)

My biggest worry is getting the Onkyo,PS3 and the speakers set up for the best sound.I got a chance to play with the 706 in the local CC.All of the options and settings are a little overwhelming compared to my old Sony.I'm sure I'll be reading the manual a few times!
Notice I don't have a sub.My room is a little oddly shaped and there's only a couple of places I could put one.My old Sony receiver has a "bass boost" function on it and the tower speakers put out plenty of bass for my liking.
My question is,do I set the 706 to "no sub" when I do the Audysses speaker calibration?For that matter,do I always leave it set for no sub?
I already know the settings I have to change in the PS3.Change the audio to LCPM instead of bitstream,right?
Any insight would be helpful because all this technical lingo and jargon have my head spinning,hence my user name! Thanks!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes. If you don't have a sub, why would you tell the receiver that you do?
If you give it wrong info, it will probably be problematic, because of trying to use something that's not there (if you tell it there's a sub, it will try to send the LFE to a sub, instead of the front speakers, and you won't hear much bass). Normally, without a sub, you set the speakers to "Large", but I think I remember that Onkyo doesn't use "Small" or "Large" settings for speakers. So, you'll need to use the equivalent setting, for Large, in Onkyo's terminology.
Good luck!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Movies can put out some tremendous amounts of bass, even without an LFE channel so you might want to consider changing the sub to "Yes" after running Audyssey and re-setting the crossover to at least 40 (60 for the center/surrounds) because you run the risk of damaging your speakers (even towers) by giving them a signal they may not be able to handle. I often turn my sub off (via the surge protector, not on the receiver) while watching movies late at night. If it doesn't work for you, you can always put things back the way the were. Just a thought.

confussed1

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Thanks for the follow ups,guys.I just started reading the manual this morning.I won't be able to swap out the receivers until Sunday,so I have some time to study the manual.I'm amazed with all the adjustments and settings that can be made!
Some good points were made.I think once I get the hang of this new 706,I'm going to plug the HD cable box into it also.If I do,is it true my SD channels will be upconverted to a 1080 signal?And do you think I will have to change some settings in the cable box itself?

Thanks for that Audysses link,David.That was very informative! I might have to print that out! I went back and read that whole thread.Wow! Do I have lots to learn.

Thanks for the help so far.Maybe I should use the search function before I ask any more stupid questions! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks