What's new

New Line Cinema appreciation (1 Viewer)

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Don't get me wrong, Mark, they've done spome great work lately with their 2-disc sets of classic films like Amadeus, Unforgiven and Singin' in the Rain. I'm just saying that their older efforts haven't held up as well as New Line's or C/T's.

I'm dying for the new Blade Runner set, really dying. It's taking FOREVER. I think it was originally announced in '99 if I'm not mistaken. Ugh.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Don't forget New Line's excellent Nightmare on Elm Street box set. New Line is so far ahead of every other studio when it comes to DVD releases it's almost pathetic.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Don't forget New Line's excellent Nightmare on Elm Street box set. New Line is so far ahead of every other studio when it comes to DVD releases it's almost pathetic.
All in all, New Line's ANOES set isn't all that much better than Paramount's series of Friday the 13th discs. The main thing that F13 fans criticize Paramount for most is the lack of uncut unrated versions of the films. Well, New Line didn't provide uncut versions of the ANOES films, either. I know that the first, third, and fifth films, at the least, definitely had different cuts that originally garned X ratings. New Line not only doesn't provide the uncut versions of these films, but the extra footage aren't presented as extras, either. The only extras to speak of are 2 commentaries recycled from laserdiscs, and an annoying disc with an okay set of interviews and some interesting (but not nearly as extensive as could be) small features. Missing are a boatload of extras from the Elite SE LD of the first film (extras which are referred to on the commentary on the first film, but fail to appear in the DVD set) and anything much of interest with regard to later films in the series (e.g., deleted scenes, outtakes, etc.).

Sure, New Line provided anamorphic transfers with nice soundmixes. So did Paramount. The extra work that separates the ANOES series discs from the F13 series discs is really not much more than a standard set of extras that we might expect from one film, no less seven.

Do I love my ANOES discs? Yup. Are they far ahead of everything else on the market? Sadly, no. Were they good for their time period? Sure, although they missed a great opportunity to at least provide us with the extras as the SE LD of the first film. As time goes on, however, I think the ANOES box looks less and less spectacular in terms of added value content.

DJ

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yeah, As far as popular studios, Warner is definitely near the bottom of my list as far as quality goes.
Well, Warner's discs are hit and miss, but 99% of the Turner Entertainment (pre-1986 MGM, pre-1950 WB, RKO, etc) DVDs are wonderful.

Check out some of their 2-disc SEs and any classic release. Singin' In The Rain: SE has THE best 3-strip Technicolor image I've seen...

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Don't forget that New Line HAS done some not-as-great-as-usual discs (the nonanamorphic "The Mask", etc.); thankfully, the quality of their discs shot up in 1998...

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
The first dvd I have bought was Austin Powers: IMOM and after that I think New Line's quality has been consistent if not better. I was thinking a couple days ago about the first Blade dvd and how great it is and the fact they are one of the only major studios that does not look down on horror (they know how they got popular). The Lord of The Rings and Se7en Platinum Series titles need no explanation on how great they are.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'd like them to do Infifilm releases of
Dumb & Dumber and Mortal Kombat(with DTS)

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
It's a real testament to New Line's greatness that their first DVDs still beat many of today's so-called 'Special Editions'...

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I would just like to say that I think what New Line is doing with the Lord of the Rings DVD's are the most genius and brilliant way these DVD's could be done!
What they essentially do is delivering a 6 Disc set for each movie, split over 2 releases. NOTHING overlaps, and every concerned customer knows that an extended edition will appear some months after the theatrical cut.
HUGE KUDOS to New Line for the handling of the Lord of the Rings DVD's. I do seriously not think they will be overshadowed in the foreseeably future!
THANX NEW LINE, keep up the excellent work!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
You guys covered it all. The LOTR sets are just the Crowning Achievements from an outfit that's always kept the DVD collectors in mind.

One of the first commentaries I ever listened to was Rogert Ebert's Dark City track and it still ranks among my favorites. Plus those Seven and Boogie Nights and Magnolia sets are amazingly cool.

The Blade discs are so cool, the Austin Powers DVDs are a lot of fun, the Nightmare on Elm Street set is pretty impressive, the Rush Hours offer a lot, Boiler Room I love (damn good movie, damn good DVD), Pleasantville is just great, the Infinifilm titles (13 Days, Blow, etc.) are fantastic... Heck, even Jason X got a solid treatment!

Plus everything's OAR (to my knowledge anyway) and that's just huge.

So yeah; if you're looking for people to join the "We love New Line" parade, I'll gladly join in.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I almost never notice the studio, but after LOTR I started noticing the logo at the beginning. No forced trailers, no fake 'special' editions, etc. Cudos to Newline (They have had my respect since they agreed to finance LOTR).

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
As much as I would like to give New Line Kudos, I'm still pissed at them for the whole Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me debacle.

Dropped the Ball on the Deleted Scenes that they claimed they wouldn't release the disc without.

New 5.1 Remix had the dialog track way too high during the Pink Room Scene that ruined the whole purpose of Subtitles for the scene.

Did not include the original 2.0 Audio Mix, only a sub-mix of the lousy 5.1 mix.

One of the worst Documentaries ever produced.

The back film description of the disc had some serious inaccuracies.

And to add insult to injury, they released it in a snapper case.

:angry:

Sure their other discs are great, but I will not ever forgive them for the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me debacle. We Lynch fans get no respect.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
New Line doesn't own the movie. They only own the U.S. distribution rights. Thus, like some of Anchor Bay's discs (Army of Darkness, Manhunter), they probably aren't ALLOWED to use the deleted scenes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree with this sentiment also. It's funny but I find that I actually prefer the transfer from the original Rush Hour as opposed to the sequel, but the sequel is a solid transfer though.

One studio that could learn a helluva lot from New Line is definitly Paramount! When you look at the towering achievment that is The Fellowship of the Ring EE, it worries me to no end that my most awaited title the Titanic SE is in the hands of a studio that never does this sort of royal treatment. I'm worried that it'll be nothing more special then say the Forrest Gump dvd. :frowning:

But anyway, were hare to talk about New Line, and they are a teriffic studio that has always put out great product. :emoji_thumbsup: The 'Elm Street' collection still ranks as one of my favorite boxed sets in my entire collection, flawless transfers on all IMO and great extras. Except for the absense of the Vinnie Vincent Invasion video for 'Love Kills', but what are ya gonna do right?

The patting on the back has only begun considering what's coming. :) And I don't think I even have to tell you what that is do I? :)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I don't own that many DVD's from New Line Cinema but every of their DVD's which I own are excellent. The picture quality on their DVD's even outrival the other studios. Also what is great about New Line is that New Line Cinema supports Widescreen.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
"New Line Cinema supports Widescreen."

Absolutely! And as long as they continue to do so, they can have as much of my money as they want. :)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Anyone know if the new keepcases are available to buy separately? For example, I own all of the Austin Powers and Rush Hours, but only Goldmember and RH2 are in Keepcases. Any professional way of gettin' the rest in keepcases too? I've seen the older Austin Powers in their own keepcases now.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I agree with all the pro-New Line sentiment expressed here. Warner has gotten better and better though as some recent transfers (Traning Day, Insomnia, etc.) have had stellar stransfers! I have to disagree about Columbia/Tristar though.... the majority of their dvd's from I guess about 98 to 2000 had unbelievable amounts of edge enhancement and noise all over the place. Watching the Muppet films over this past weekend only brought back some painful memories. Watchable yes, but up to par with other studios no. Warner can't be faulted too much though as they were the first studio to release dvd's (am I right?) but they're earlier releases as mentioned here (Batman, Unforgiven, etc.) are horrible. They've more than made amends on Unforgiven, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest, etc. but Batman definitely needs a new transfer!

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
With the new Dumb & Dumber 'prequel' hitting theaters this summer, here's hoping that New Line will issue a new, loaded, special edition of their classic "DUMB & DUMBER" to tie in with the eventual release of the new prequel on dvd.
ARE YOU LISTENING NEW LINE?:D

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
What amazes me most about New Line is that they clearly go way out of there way to ensure that every bit of content of every one of their DVD's is presented w/the best quality possible (remastered, anamorphic, DD5.1, etc). I bet other studios (including sister company Warner Home Video) laugh at them for spending anything more any DVD productions than the absolute minimum needed to get another bulletpoint in the features list on the back of the case. New Line, thou art awesome.

It's also ironic that the New Line Home Video logo is actually much better assurance of DVD presentation quality than the THX logo...

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks