What's new

New Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Jeff Baldwin

Auditioning
I'm a new member and have been enjoying reading everyones information. It seems impossible to get an impartial review from the HT expert mags. I'm building a new HT and want to up grade my processor and amp. My present processor which I have already moved upstairs is a parasound AVC-1800 with a HCA 855 parasound amp. I am finishing my basement and wanted to upgrade. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Lexicon DC-2 with the Parasound 2205A, The new Rotel 1066 with matching Amp or the Anthem AVM-20 and their 7-channel (125 Watts). With that being said I have not made any decisions or ruled any others out. I'm a wreck trying to decide. Any suggestion that you may have would be greatly welcomed. The Fronts and center for this set up are Performa series revels, parasound sub, and I think M&K rears, I haven't bought the rears yet. I'm more of a movie buff than music fan, if that helps.
I know being new I'm asking alot but I need help. My wife says I'm driving her crazy.
Thanks

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well, if you're a movie buff, then Lexicon seems to be good, except the DC-2 is pretty dated AFAIK, and might not have all the processing modes that the newer Rotel RSP-1066 and Anthem AVM20 might have. What exactly is your budget for the entire prepro/power amp setup?

Amp wise, the Parasound 2205A and Rotel RMB1095 would be very comparable, and would both outperform the Anthem PVA-7, except the PVA-7 has 7 channels rather than 5.

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Sihan,

Before the "masses" attack re: Lexicons's Logic 7 being the best 7.1 setup and clog up this thread. I will agree with you about the Rotel 1095 being a good mate with the Revels. I heard the M20/C30's using the Rotel and was a good match.

Jeff,

Deciding what surround field you plan on using SHOULD be the contributing factor in deciding your list. MY personal take on 7.1 systems is: What is the software availablity of all the new formats?? DD-EX & DTS-ES have been out for 1+ year now and the DVD option is still too small for me to even give them a thought! The other option is look into surround decoding that uses existing technology (ie: Logic 7 or THX Ultra 2), there are processors offering either technology for

Jeff Baldwin

Auditioning
Thanks Mike and Sihan for the response. I agree with you Mike that I'm not totally sold on how important 7.1 Modes are at this point. If I only end up with an awesome 5.1 set up I think I would OK with that. Has for my budget, I'm already over, But I'd like to keep the pre/pro and Amp under 5K.
Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
RMB-1095 totally rocks. It can be had used in the 1300-$1500 range. I got mine new for $1700 but I think that is on the lower end of the price range. I am an Anthem fan having been shopping for a processor for the last 6 months. 1095/AVM-20 will run you $4200-4500 or so. Also check out Sherbourn 5/1500A which is also a 5x200 monoblock design that can be had new around $1500. It is on par with the 1095. I got the 1095 over the sherbourn because I got a great package deal of the RB-1090+RMB-1095. I favored the AVM-20 over the 1066 because of the overpowering features of the anthem (especially zone 2 AND zone 3) and the dedication to upgradability of the anthem (even though the upgrade has been delayed, there have been plenty of software upgrades).

Good luck
Marc

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Yup, AFAIK, the Rotel RMB-1096, Parasound HCA-2205AT and Sherbourn 5/1500A offer similar price/performance, since they have similar prices and similar performances. It comes down to matter of preference and how much of a deal you can get. Other choices in that price range are the B&K 7250 and ATI 1505/2505.

If you need an extra 2 channels, the Rotel RB-1090 will do just great for the front 2 speakers. It has even more power and better sound quality than the 1095, being a stereo amp.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Jeff,
If you want the max "bang for the buck" with Logic-7 and the quality to do those Revels justice, I would suggest you look at picking up a Harman Kardon AVR8000 to use as a pre/pro then a CineNova 5 channel for an amp.
This should cost you about $4400 -$4600 street and will give you plenty of clean power, plus a couple (5) 100+ watt channels with which to drive a couple extra surrounds "if" you go 7.1. (you could even direct the remaining channels to other rooms for multi-room applications)
Very few options will give you Musicality,THX, Logic-7, and 300wpc x 5 with .003% distortion from 20-20, for less than $10,000.
John Casler
Link Removed

Jeff Baldwin

Auditioning
Anyone have experience with Parasound 2500u. I've heard good and bad. How would that compare to the Rotel, Lexicon, Anthem pieces.
Thanks for your input.
Jeff

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well, I haven't heard a lot of good things about the 2500u. Anyway, its pretty dated and doesn't have the new processing modes. Perhaps there'll be a new prepro in Parasound's HALO series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks