What's new

new home theater (1 Viewer)

Joe Bachich

Auditioning
I'm in the process of building my home theater and am now deciding on projectors. I think I would like to go DLP but I keep hearing all this noise about rainbow effect. Would I have that problem if I purchased a Marantz VP12s1 or a Sharp xv9000. Of the two which would be a better buy? Or should I just go with a higher end LCD?

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
From what I've read either of the DLPs will be a great choice. At this moment this DLPs are ahead of the LCD projectors and it seems that the rainbow problem is gone with the Sharp DLP (no info on the Marantz).

Regards

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Not really. LCDs have a brighter and sharper picture than DLPs. While DLPs may have a smoother and more film-like picture. And no, the rainbow-effect is still there, even with the Sharp XV-Z9000, but it is greatly reduced. Some have also reported that they have eye-strain with DLP projectors, but that depends on the person. Another thing is that LCDs have the screen-door effect while DLPs don't. However, on new LCDs, such as the Sony VPL-VW11HT, the screen-door effect GREATLY reduced and is basically not visible at resonable sitting distances.

As you can see, there are ups and downs to both. It depends on what you want/need.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
First of all I have a Sony W400Q (LCD) so I am not biased with DLPs but the consensus right now is that the Sharp has the best image quality of any non CRT projector. The Marantz is supposed to be as good if not better. Contrast ratio is also a lot better in DLPs most of the time as is black level. In any case be sure to demo anything you want to buy cause as the previous poster said each technology has its + and - so its a matter of personal preferences.

Regards

JonathanB

Auditioning
This is a no brainer, THe Marantz is way better than the sharp. Marantz is liscensed to build the panel themselves, so the actual panel is not build by some "jo-blo" What makes it a lot better are the optics and scaler. I know someone who has one and the internal scaler is so good that svideo vs component makes almost no difference.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
If you're spending that much money, you may want to consider a D-ILA projector like the JVC G15 or a LCOS like the Hitachi 5500. I'd suggest not purchasing until you can at least see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks