What's new

New From Criterion: Truffaut 'Doniel' 5-DVD Box - 4/23 (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Ted a Moral Tales box set would be beyond my wildest dreams, except for a Proverbs box set, that has an even less chance of happening. Or a nice remastered SE of Perceval

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Very nice! :emoji_thumbsup:
Any news on Jules and Jim? Wasn't Criterion going after this one?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I certainly like the covers, they are wonderful, but I am still disappointed because Bed and Board & Stolen Kisses have the best posters ever -- I wish they had stuck to the original art.
In any event, a superb set. About the extras: it looks like they have ported everything from the MK2 box, except: all the audio commentaries except for the one on 400 Blows. The hour long Jean-Pierre Leaud documentary. I'm still hoping that this is a case of omission on Criterion's web site rather than on the DVDs...
Ted

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Those covers look like one of those catalogs you get in the mail. Cool nonetheless. Hope I can find some extra money for this...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm not picky about covers, but I have to say, those are really cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Perfect!, really well done. Can't wait for this.

EDIT: After looking below, I think I'll need that tissue Matthew ...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I gasped at the 400 blows cover which was fantastic all the other covers are perfect, outstanding work, (as well as the box set design!)
Criterion still says this is a five disc set (although the short Antione and Collete is listed on the 400 blows disc), but we don't have the art for the extras disc.... :) not complaining, just wondering how they will number and art that...
Adam

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Criterion still says this is a five disc set (although the short Antione and Collete is listed on the 400 blows disc), but we don't have the art for the extras disc.... not complaining, just wondering how they will number and art that...
I'm guessing the 400 Blows disc will be 2 DVDs.

But what about preorders? Has anyone found a better price than Amazon.ca's ~USD66 shipped, with a $10 off coupon (depending on the status of the dollar on April 29)?

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
GET A LOAD OF THIS!

5-DVD Box Set includes:
New digital transfers of all films, enhanced for widescreen televisions
Truffaut's early short film, Les Mistons
Audio commentary for Les Mistons by assistant director and future co-writer Claude de Givray
Audio/visual "primer" for Les Mistons by film historian Serge Toubiana
Working with François Truffaut: Claude de Givray and Bernard Revon: An exclusive re-edited version of a 1986 interview with Truffaut co-writers Claude de Givray and Bernard Revon, originally conducted for Rainer Gansera's documentary Arbeiten mit François Truffaut
Excerpt from the rare documentary François Truffaut (1961) featuring Truffaut discussing his influences and beginnings, along with Les Mistons and The 400 Blows.
Interview from the 1981 French TV show Champ contre champ in which Truffaut discusses Jean-Pierre Léaud, and the challenges of creating films that are intensely personal, yet popular in appeal
Promotional art gallery for The 400 Blows, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board and Love on the Run
Two audio commentaries for The 400 Blows: one by cinema professor Brian Stonehill and another by lifelong friend of Truffaut, Robert Lachenay
Rare audition footage of The 400 Blows stars Jean-Pierre Léaud, Patrick Auffay and Richard Kanayan
Newsreel footage of Jean-Pierre Léaud in Cannes for the showing of The 400 Blows
Excerpt from a French TV program with Truffaut discussing his youth, critical writings, and the origins of Antoine Doinel in The 400 Blows and Antoine and Colette
Television interview with Truffaut about the global financial reception of The 400 Blows and his own critical impression of the film
Theatrical trailers for The 400 Blows, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board, and Love on the Run
Introduction to Stolen Kisses by film historian Serge Toubiana
Excerpt from the TV show Cinéastes de notre temps: François Truffaut, dix ans, dix films in which Truffaut discusses his vision of the Doinel cycle, and the complex relationship between Doinel and actor Jean-Pierre Léaud
Archival newsreel footage of the "Langlois Affair," documenting protests by Truffaut and other French film industry luminaries against the removal of Cinémathèque française director Henri Langlois
Promotional spot featuring Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut appealing for public support of Henri Langlois
Newsreel footage of Truffaut's impassioned rally to shut down the 1968 Cannes Film Festival in support of striking students and workers
Rare behind-the-scenes footage with Truffaut at work on the Bed and Board set, and being interviewed along with actress Claude Jade
Rare television interview with Jean-Pierre Léaud discussing his feelings about Truffaut and Antoine Doinel, and his thoughts about "ending" the series
Excerpt from the 1972 documentary Approches du cinéma: François Truffaut ou la nouvelle vague, in which Truffaut addresses the complexities of Antoine Doinel
Rare television interview excerpt of Truffaut and actress/co-writer Marie-France Pisier discussing their working styles and their feelings about Love on the Run
Excerpt from the 1980 TV show Cinescope in which Truffaut addresses his misgivings about his finale to the Doinel series, and illuminates his feelings about Jean-Pierre Léaud and Antoine Doinel
New and improved subtitle translation for all films

Can you say, 'whoa!' This makes LOTR and Fight Club look like barebones Paramount releases!

Nathan

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I haven't seen these films (yet!) but, after reading over that list of specs, all I have to say is, "Lord of the what?"
(Ducks flying objects.) :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
But what about preorders? Has anyone found a better price than Amazon.ca's ~USD66 shipped, with a $10 off coupon (depending on the status of the dollar on April 29)?
Yup I got mine for about 57.45 + 1.50 for a dover thrift edition of Thoreau's Civil Disobedience I thought the two went well together. You'll find all the details of this at the below link, but the key thing is Amazon only cares about the initial unit price of all your items, so since the Doinel set is only 74.95 you need five cents more to take advantage of the 10$ off Promotional certificate. Adding a small item like above puts you over. Then Promotional certificate, share the love and free shipping all count against that first total, bringing your price lower and lower, so knock off 17.50 from that 74.95 price to get the best price, and when you add in the free shipping the price stays that low!
Antoine collection for under $60 US
The key is to sign up now for the STL, hopefully you'll get the love, because lots of criterion love tends to go through as soon as the new ones are announced, but they generally continue going through for quite a while.
I just hope we get an equally killer Ozu set, I'd like to see some of his pre WWII thirties stuff as well as some of his during WWII thirties stuff (to see the shift from making films Hollywood style to making films that were distinctly Japanese with no trace of Hollywood), as well as some of the famous ones such as Tokyo Story and Autumn Sonata. I've not ever seen a Ozu film but I would buy such a set. We jsut went over Japan in our intl cinema class, and I know that Mizoguchi followed this pattern, so I assume Ozu did as well, though I may be wrong. I also wouldn't mind seeing more Trauffaut, either as a set like this, or individually (I'd rather get the set it's a much better buy!)
Adam

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I've used up all Amazon.com $10 off coupons, so I guess I'm sticking with Amazon.ca. $66 is still very good for this set. And hopefully the total will lower, if the Canadian dollar drops a little around April 29. Anyone out there with financial predicitions?? :D

Carrol

Agent
RE: Jules and Jim

To the person that mentioned Jules and Jim in this thread; I wrote Jon Mulvaney (from the Criterion Collection) about 1 month ago and he said that it is in the works, and to expect it later in 2003.

I would take that to mean late fall...October?

I hope, that's the one Truffaut title I want in good form. My Fox Lorber disc just doesn't cut it.

Carrol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks