What's new

New From Criterion: Truffaut 'Doniel' 5-DVD Box - 4/23 (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
From DVDFile:
, Truffaut collaborated with actor Jean-Pierre Leaud to create a long-running cinematic character and follow him through marriage, children, divorce and adulthood. This set will also include documentaries, interviews, archival materials, newsreel footage and trailers. Retail is $99.95.
Anyone else just a little excited?
DJ

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I've only seen the 400 blows and right now I have only about 20-40$ per month dvd budget, but I WILL be getting this, despite what I have to skip between now and then, 400 Blows is one of the all time perfect films in my opinion (see signature). My only complaint is that they're calling the box "the adventures of antoine doinal" Something much simpler like "Doinal" I would prefer (I can see the box now, silver or gold embossed "Doinal" along the spine) however I don't doubt that Criterion will do justice by the set.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the titles available individually, this will be Criterion's biggest set yet, however you can't get the eisenstein or dreyer discs separate so who knows.
But before you get all irate at having to buy them all consider the cost of buying them separate
400 Blows SRP - 40$
Stolen Kisses - 30 or 40$ (we don't know how many extras yet)
Bed and Board - 30 or 40
Love on the Run - 30 or 40
Antoine and Collette 30 (it is after all a short film, however for the box set, I expect many extras on this disc)

Even if you would only get two of these you're essentially better off getting the box set, because for 20$ you're getting two more films, a short film, and probably a heck of a lot of extras.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Very cool news!
This year just keeps getting more and more expensive. :D

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
If the Eisenstein set is any indication, this Truffaut set will be priced between $125-$150 CAD in Canada (not including the 15% tax in Ontario).

All I want is The 400 Blows, but I'm not willing to spend that much money on only 1 desired DVD (if they're not available seperately).

Let's hope Criterion has some sense and plans to release them seperately.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else just a little excited?
Not really, since I've had the French Doinel box set sitting on my shelf for the past year. But it is great that Criterion is releasing these. Hopefully they'll get to do the rest of Truffaut's output that Fox Lorber released as well.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel said:
It never ceases to amaze me that people who like The 400 Blows but not Antoine and Colette, Stolen Kisses & Bed and Board exist. Of course tastes differ, but I still don't get it, possibly because those three films are amongst my all time favorites.
In any event, I am glad that Criterion is only releasing them as a set -- these movies really do belong together.
The big question for me is how the Criterion extras stack up against the MK2 (R2 - France) Doinel box that I have. I'm going to have a really hard time justifying buying it again unless Criterion does something pretty amazing. (Which I suspect they might).
Ted

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
All I want is The 400 Blows, but I'm not willing to spend that much money on only 1 desired DVD (if they're not available seperately).
Have you ever seen Stolen Kisses? It's widely regarded as one of Truffaut's best films and makes a great companion piece to 400 Blows. Some have problems with the latter two (Personally, I like all 4 of them) but Stolen Kisses is a must-see.
Jeff

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Not really, since I've had the French Doinel box set sitting on my shelf for the past year.
Well, I've had the box since it came out too, but I am excited, because now more people can share in my joy. I'm also excited, because this at least gives me HOPE that Criterion will do the right thing and release Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales as a box as well, instead of cherry-picking just Claire's Knee & My Night at Maude's
Ted

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The hints given out by Criterion as to 400 Blows returning to the catalog have come true, and with interest!
Tremendous news!
To the Truffaut news, we have also Contempt and Band of Outsiders The New Wave rolls on. :emoji_thumbsup:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever seen Stolen Kisses? It's widely regarded as one of Truffaut's best films and makes a great companion piece to 400 Blows.
This might be hard to believe for some here on the HTF, but I don't need to own every movie on DVD that I enjoy. Sometimes I enjoy a film, but have no desire to watch it again (or not enough times to make it worth a purchase). If I collected every DVD for a movie I've enjoyed, I'd be broke - nevermind not having enough time to watch them all again. ;)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I'm glad I unloaded my Criterion DVD for $450.00 already.

A very welcome box set. I've got all of these on DVD already, but I think I'll have to upgrade.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Are they anamorphic (when applicable)? The 400 Blows was among the very first Criterion DVD releases and was not anamorphic.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Are they anamorphic (when applicable)? The 400 Blows was among the very first Criterion DVD releases and was not anamorphic.
It is applicable for all five films. OAR of The 400 Blows & Antoine and Colette is 2.35:1 and the remaining three are 1.66:1. All five are certainly anamorphic in the MK2 box.
Ted

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm more excited by The White Sheik announcement since that was completely unexpected and the Doinel set had been known for some time.
I love Stolen Kisses and do consider it Truffaut's best, 400 Blows goes without saying, and Antoine & Collette is very good as well. But I'm much more mixed on the other 2. I'll likely still buy the set but it's a big chunk of change at a time when a lot of other "musts" are coming out.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Oh my, I have to find a job! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks