new criterions in october

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 25, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/07_25.html
    The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp by Michael Powell, which includes a new commentary by Powell & Scorsese
    Down by Law by Jim Jarmusch
    4 pack Kurosawa Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo and Sanjuro, which are the same discs.
    This is really a shame though imo

2. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Similar to the "Black Narcissus" commentary, I should think!

This is great P&P news, and I hope it means "Stairway to Heaven" is also due soon! And whatever happened to "Tales of Hoffman"?

4. Todd Bennington

Unfortunately Criterion don't have the rights to Stairway To Heaven/A Matter of Life and Death. As far as Hoffmann goes, apparently the elements are in pretty rough shape and are requiring a lot more restoration than was originally believed necessary. Hopefully both make it out before too long. I'm giddy about Col. Blimp.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    COLONEL BLIMP should be quite nice. I already have the recent Carlton PAL release from Britan. The pic isn't a huge improvement over the old LD but the sound is much better.

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Yes, it is. This is obviously a typo on the part of DVD File (I sent them an email).

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Cool! More money to spend! [​IMG]

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Yep, just in time for my birthday. Also would love to have Hoffman and Oh Rosalinda! and for history buffdom purposes, I'd really like to see The Battle of the River Platte.

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

The one Emeric Pressburger film I would absolutely kill for is Twice Upon a Time, based on my favorite childhood book, The Double Lottchen by Erich Kästner. It is a remake of the original 1950 German movie, but it will be a cold day in hell before that makes it to DVD with English subtitles.
    I read somewhere that it was Disnified as The Parent Trap but I would like to see something close to my beloved book, not a Disney atrocity.
    Ted

11. Rain

Rain Producer

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brook, THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE is available on PAL in the U.K. I have a copy. I have little faith that it will come to wee-jun uno anytime soon. Best wishes!

13. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

As for the most current announcement, if the Kurosawa box set counts as their usual box set for the year this news is very disappointing, as last year we got the Dreyer and the Eisenstein sets. 2002 started out great with Children of Paradise, Rashomon, and Wild Strawberries, but I have to admit that their most recent and upcoming releases don't really have me wowed.

14. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Thanks Rachael, I'm multi-regional so I'll put it on my ever growing "to buy" list. Any other P&P in r2 land? And how's the quality?

Jim, I agree with you, except for Red Beard, The Life and Death of Col. Blimp, and the 2 Rene Claire's.

They must have run into a lot more problems than they thought with Monterrey Pop.

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Since they are ooooold Criterion discs, it'd be nice if Criterion stepped up to the plate and offered the Kurosawa box (not the discs) available to the Criterion completists that already have the discs.

-Dave

16. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I for one would be happy to purchase the Kurosawa box set. I really like all of those films, and I'd be glad to have the opportunity to pick them all up at once for $99.

17. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

While we are kicking around titles here, I sent them an email request some time ago suggesting two titles.

Death by Hanging '68 Oshima
    A Man Escaped '56 Bresson

A third I would throw in there would be
    Zentropa (aka Europa) '91 Von Trier

To me all three titles would seem to represent exactly the kind of work that Criterion would release, and I have heard nothing about any of these titles elsewhere. All 3 are excellent films so it really depresses me that they can't be had on DVD at this time.

Any info or opinions on these?

18. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

19. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brook, I think several other P & P titles are available in the U.K. I'm not familiar with all their work. I posted a thread about them on a U.K. site once and got some pointers for several films by them that I didn't know about. I'm forgetting the titles at the moment...If my budjet was unlimited I'd buy the lot. BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE looks good to me and the mono sound is pretty good. THE DAMBUSTERS is available as 1/4 of THE BRITISH WAR COLLECTION too. That sounds like it might be up your alley. It will never, never, never, never, never, ever come out in the U.S. me thinks. It's the dog's name and mission codeword holding it back. I love Blackstar! I keep an eye on R2. Nothing has caught my eye lately. I got FORT APACHE on R2 last fall. For the life of me I don't understand why it's held back from the U.S. market! Best wishes!