What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New Computer: No Windows CD (1 Viewer)

JimmyM

Grip
Hello....

I just purchased a new computer, and it didn't come with a Windows XP CD, but it did come with the usual Recovery CDs that restore the system to its factory defaults. My concern is what would happen if I have to replace a major piece of hardware, say, the motherboard or hard drive. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Do the CDs still recognize that it is the machine I bought from the company, or would it deny the process because it thinks I'm trying to pirate the software?

Also, what would I do if I had to install hardware and, as has sometimes happened to me before, I was prompted for the Windows XP installation CD?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any experience with this.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
All the Windows install files are usually on the hard drive (that's how they get around not giving you a disc). If it's XP we're talking about, they should be in a folder called i386. Just do a search for that folder. There should be a bunch of files in it with exensions like "dl_". You can burn this folder to a CDR, if you like, so you can always have the files available.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I absolutely hate it when manufacturers do this. If you've paid for Windows XP, then you should damn well get the proper CDs for it.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

You haven't paid for it though. The manufacturer basically gets you a special "no CD license".

/Mike

JimmyM

Grip
I found the i386 folder--it's chock full of system files. In it, I stumbled upon the installer (I think), Winnt32. I ran it, and it told me that it would not be able to upgrade my system because it couldn't find NetUpGrd.dll. It did, however, allow me to begin the process of a full install. I canceled the process, but if I wanted to, could I burn all of these files to a CD and, if I need to, reinstall Windows XP without any of the manufacturer's bundled (and worthless) software? Or am I missing the files needed for a complete clean installation?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Even the manufacturer's "system restore" CDs should allow you to do a custom install and select which (if any) of the bundled apps and utilities to install, so it probably isn't the case that you couldn't do a "clean" reinstallation with the recovery discs.

Regards,

Joe

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Read MS's partner agreement (it's available on their website) if you bulk sale (ie, more then X number of units over X period) you can send out a "restore only" disc, which is basically just an image of it as it was shipped from the factory. If the customer alters the hardware significantly enough that the restore disc will not successfully install, then per MS's terms, they should buy a new copy anyway :)

Not saying I like it, just saying that's the way -they- tell us the OEM bulk distribution model is supposed to work.

JimmyM

Grip
Hmm....okay. Seems like I'm a bit out of luck if I ever have a problem. However, the Restore CD did come with a folder of drivers, including those for the integrated video and audio, for GART and MemCtl (can anyone enlighten me as to what those are?), IDE, and the integrated Ethernet.

I know that, typically, when you build a new computer, the first thing you should do after installing Windows is to install the motherboard drivers. If I were to install XP from a full install CD, (1) Would XP come with the needed drivers and automatically install them for my motherboard? and (2)If not, would the drivers from the Restore CD be enough to install the motherboard?

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Depends largely on your motherboard.

I'm going to tell you though, that with the right resources, any driver can be found.. most of them are easy to get anymore.. :)

JimmyM

Grip
The motherboard's an FIC AU31. I can't even find a reference on FIC's site, and no luck through google. Can you work some magic, Chris?

JimmyM

Grip
There's a lot of numbers on this thing. Maybe this is it: CAU4211531 AU31-L

I found that near the CPU and the NorthBridge heatsink.

Edit: Anyone think the drivers are located on this page under "nVidia Force2 System Driver"?

I can't post a direct link, so do a google search for "site:e4allinc.info AU31 drivers" It should be the first one

Are these the drivers for the whole mobo or just the video portion?

In addition, thank you to everyone who has replied, especially so quickly!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Since the mthbd drivers are installed now, you should just look them up, and check under properties, to see if they belong to MS or not, and to check the date to see if it is the same as other drivers and so forth, that are the common windows dates.

Even if you do get caught short on them, Windows may know where they are and lead you to them online.

Glenn

A

Andrew_A_Paul

Looks like the answer was answered, but i'll throw my two cents in.....

bout a 1 yr 1/2 ago i got a new MOBO and had to reinstall the OS since its major hardware piece. Fried that board, got a the same brand (gigabyte) so i didnt have to reinstal the OS, so that was nice. At least if you upgrade you can back stuff up, if you fry something you can't :frowning:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The restore disc or restore partition situation is a great reason to build your own computer & kiss the off-the-shelf buys goodbye. Of course you have to buy a Windows CD-ROM, but at least in this scenario you own the Windows CD-ROM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks