What's new

New Billy Joel classical CD: quality composition or 2nd-rate note spinning? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While browsing the classical section at Border's yesterday, I noticed a new CD of piano compositions by none other than Billy Joel. He has written ten classical pieces for piano, and the bits I listened to on Border's headphones were decent. They are touted as opuses 1-10, I guess meaning these are the first compositions he has officially released.

The odd thing is that he doesn't play the songs -- some other pianist does the job. I wonder why Billy wouldn't play his own stuff. Is it too difficult for him? Does he think it conveys quality if someone else plays his classical music?

I'm not a qualified critic, so I'm not sure if any of this music is good. It sounds pleasing (which I suppose is all that matters) on first review, but I wonder how it would stand up to critical analysis.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

Don't know if you watched Billy Joel: In His Own Words on A&E within the past month, but Joel didn't a concert at an university hall (don't remember the school's name) with the pianist on the CD, Richard Joo. Joel said that he felt a classical trained pianist is can play better in this style than he can. Richard Joo looks like a twenty-something college dude. The material is OK, although the music keep reminding me of Joel's own "And So It Goes". I will stick with his pop recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks