What's new

New Bee on the block (1 Viewer)

Thom G

Auditioning
OK boy's Building my first HT , I have room for a 90" wide screen ,,Only going to watch DVD movies and DVD music videos ,, Thinking 16:9 projector and screen and know I would have to do some masking ,Only on the sides with 4:3 ??
Considering all the differant aspect s of movies is therea better compromise ?? And just what screen size shoul I build ??

Bee in waiting
Thom G

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You could always go with what is called "constant height"- a system where you make a screen that is 2.35:1, and then just fly in mattes on the side for varying the width. This usually means a computer, a specific scaler, or a panamorph lense (or a combination of these).

Overall 16x9 seems to be the best compromise. there is a post in the FAQ and PRIMER about deciding on aspect ratio for your tv.

16x9 vs. 4x3 - Which type of equipment setup should I select? by Neil Joseph & Cees Alons

As far as screen size, there is a math formula based upon seating distance, I'm not sure what it is, but maybe someone could provide it. Also, keep in mind a 90 inch wide screen will require a pretty serious throw distance (projector distance from screen)-- so make sure you have the real estate in terms of room depth, make sure you find a projector with SERIOUS light output, and make sure your room is totally black.

-Vince

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Provide us with the dimensions of your room, the dynamics (ambient light via windows etc), your budget, and the type of material you will be watching on it. Then some relevant recommendations can be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks