What's new

new aphex twin track (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks Alex, I hadn't thought to check the warp site for previews, although I did see the mammoth tracklisting they posted last month. Unfortunately, being in real format means I can't listen to it very well; I'll see if I can track down a reliable player (the official Realplayer crashes my box repeatedly until I do a system restore to before the point of installation).

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
the track is pretty wicked, he's reused a few sounds, but it's nice stuff..
i got my wife to listen to it last night and she was kinda just stunned once it finished.
a
------------------
visit neverville

Keith M.

Second Unit
Personally, after "Come to Daddy",
Aphex Twin has lost all musical credibility with me...
It was utter crap and showed extreme creative laziness. There are only a select few who can pull off ordered chaos in music, such as Trent Reznor. And Aphex Twin is NOT one of them.
I have lost interest in his noise, i mean, music.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
aww, thats harsh. I rather like the track, though it is a bit silly. And even if you don't like it surely the mastery of Windowlicker more than makes up for it?

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
i'm not going to say that aphex hasn't done some lazy things..
come to daddy is a 'remake' of isopropanol, after all..
and windowlicker is just a demo of all of the latest plugins (i can't tell you how disappointed i was when i first heard it) - but the video is ace.
every artist has his/her ups and downs. even good old trent has bored me to death.. i mean, i liked the broken material, but everything after has seemed a bit stale to me, but that's just me.
subjectivity.
the new stuff sounds a lot like the latest squarepusher - manic and intense. it's a nice showing, in my opinion.
he has also just released the first 12" (and cd) from his new label men, co-founded with squarepusher, simply titled 'two remixes by afx' - and it is basically some old acid shit done today. nice stuff again, i thought. definitely fun, with the second track's little dialogue in the middle discussing 'e'.
if anyone is interested in some nice controlled noise, check out the last couple of coil releases - or if you like that electronic sound, check out the last release by richard devine on schematic, 'lipswitch'.
a
------------------
visit neverville

JasonK

Supporting Actor
A buddy of mine just got me back into electronic music, so I'm behind the times a little bit. But I do enjoy Aphex Twin, and own the Windowlicker CD. I've heard Come to Daddy, but don't own it. I also have the Polygon Window 'Surfing on Sine Waves' disc and I really like it.
Alex, thanks for the heads up on the other acts, are there other electronic "must-haves" I should check out? So far I've been going thru the Ninja Tune catalog looking for artists that pique my interest.
Thanks,
Jason

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
hallo jason,
i would recommend most anything on the schematic label - everything there is pretty much ace. some of it is only available on vinyl, the older releases fetching ~$100 per single..
autechre are probably still my absolute favourite.
my good friend lexaunculpt is awesome, but you will have trouble finding his material. there will be a new album out soon though (on orange).
mouse on mars is good, the last two have been fantastic. the last two matmos are also incredible.
the new plaid is nice..
it also depends on what kind of material you are looking for. spastic braindance music or downtempo..
a
ps. you could also check out some of mine. :)
------------------
visit neverville

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info Alex. It'll be some time before I get to a lot of what you mention since my CD list is growing quicker than expected, and funds are limited. I'd be glad to check out what you've done, let me know what I need to do to hear it.
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks