What's new

Network Connection for Yamaha RX-N600 Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Chad Potter
I'm looking to build my first home theater system. I recently saw the new Yamaha RX-N600 network receiver at a local audio shop. This would probably suit my needs and is attractive for me as it has a network connection. Although the system I build will be primarily used for movies, I would like the capability to stream my MP3 audio files from my computer to the receiver. I have not found another receiver in this price range that would allow me to do so.

The RX-N600 utilizes a LAN port to get the MP3 files. My computer is located in an office that is removed from the theater room. I would like to make this connection wirelessly. Is there a device that can plug into a LAN port that has an antenna for wireless communication? I currently have a home network set up with a desktop, laptop, cable modem, and wireless router. Thanks for the help. Chad

Real Name
Chad Potter
By the suggestion of others, I think I am going to look at other receivers in the $500 to $600 price range. While this will ultimately yield a better receiver, I will loose the LAN port on the receiver. With that said, what is the best way to get MP3 files from my computer to the receiver. It would also be nice to be able to control the music and audio components via a PDA. I have looked at the NetRemote software from Promixis.

My main question is what hardware/software do I need to accomplish this. My current equipment:

Self built PC running Windows XP SP2
Netgear Wireless Router 108 Mbps (WGT624 v2)
HP iPAQ 1945

I do not yet have bluetooth enabled on the iPAQ. I will need a card to accomplish this.

The wireless router is currently set up in my office. So, I would need to be able to connect the receiver to the computer wirelessly. Alternatively (if price and an easier setup were possible), I could move the router to the Home Theater room and hardwire the receiver to it. I already have a wireless card for the desktop PC, so I could communicate between the PC and router wirelessly.

Thanks in advance for the help. Chad

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That makes sense.

Linksys also makes a wireless music bridge and a wireless media adapter, both of which would do what you're looking for.

Also, Logitech makes a wireless music system. If you decided today to go this route, you can get a very inexpensive second music receiver for it off of Woot -- pretty good timing if you ask me. Here's the link for the Logitech: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10855

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks