Need Help - Yamaha RX-N600

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chad Potter, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Chad Potter

Chad Potter Extra

I'm looking to build my first home theater system. I will probably upgrade significantly in 2-3 years, so I don't want to go overboard at this point. I have about $2500 to spend and was thinking of spending approximately $500-600 on a receiver. I recently saw the new Yamaha RX-N600 network receiver at a local audio shop. This would probably suit my needs and is attractive for me as it has a network connection. Although the system I build will be primarily used for movies, I would like the capability to stream my MP3 audio files from my computer to the receiver. I have not found another receiver in this price range that would allow me to do so. I have also not found much information on the RX-N600 online (I've searched for forum posts and reviews and came up with nothing). Does anyone know of any reviews online or have experience with this receiver? Are there other receivers you would suggest in my price range that would also allow use of my MP3 files from the computer?

Additionally, the RX-N600 utilizes a LAN port to get the MP3 files. My computer is located in an office that is removed from the theater room. I would like to make this connection wirelessly. Is there a device that can plug into a LAN port that has an antenna for wireless communication? If you need more details on other room parameters, let me know. Thanks for the help. Chad

2. Chad Potter

Chad Potter Extra

Also: I can find the RX-N600 online for around $450 shipped. I like it for the ease of connection to my home computer for MP3 access. However, since this can be achieved via other means, what is the best receiver out there for around $500? Thanks for the input. Chad

3. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

The Rx-N600is based on a RX-V559 receiver. So you are getting a quality receiver. One of the best features if the N600 isn't just its ability to stream MP3 files, but internet radio. You can listen to any registered internet radio station in the world for free, easily search for types of music, locations of music, and even podcasts. It's a great piece. If yo uneed wireless access, simply go to a computer store and buy a wireless access point/bridge. Then it will allow internet connection to the N600 without running a CAT5 internet line to the room.