1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Announces "Studio Quality Audio"

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Cranston37, May 1, 2019.

1. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

2. Message #2 of 6 May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Variety:

"Netflix had been streaming 5.1 audio with 192 kbps using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. The result sounded pretty good on 5.1-capable home theater setups, but there was room for improvement. “We knew we could do better,” said Phill Williams, Netflix’s senior software engineer for audio algorithms.

That’s because with 192 kbps, Netflix wasn’t achieving what audio codec engineers call 'perceptual transparency,' a term that describes a level of quality that even expert listeners can’t tell apart from the original master recording. During testing, Williams’ team discovered that they could effectively dupe expert listeners with 5.1 streams encoded with 640 kpbs.

Williams demonstrated the difference between these two audio bitrates during a recent listening demo with Variety that used a recording of applause as a sample sound. With 192 kbps, some parts of the audio sounded a bit wetter, less differentiated. With 640 kbps, everything was crystal clear, virtually indistinguishable from an uncompressed version."

DavidJ and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

192 kbps is way too low for 5.1. I would say 384kbps is minimum, 448kbps is preferrable. 640kbps gets you much closer to effectively lossless.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Wait a minute.

They're acting like discovering 192 kbps is too low for 5.1 is some great accomplishment, and giving themselves big kudos for bumping it? They needed experts to figure this out?

Unbelievable.

Jesse Skeen and Jeff Adkins like this.
  5. Message #5 of 6 May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

And Atmos will be 768kbps!

That's being a bit jaded - I think the bitrate talk in the article was more about teaching the consumer what the techy-looking word means.

I think Netflix's accomplishment here is getting it into homes that have varying internet connections without buffering, by making it adaptive. That's not nothing.

Sam Posten and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  6. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    What I have yet to comprehend is, if Netflix is using Dolby Digital Plus, why am I still unable to get Dolby Atmos in my 4K streams on my Roku devices (yet Netflix on a Roku TV can get Atmos)? Vudu uses Dolby Digital Plus with an Atmos extension without any issues on my Roku.