What's new

Neon Genesis Evangelion question (spoilers) (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I just watched a Neon Genesis boxset I got from a friend. There were 24 episodes included. The last episode I saw what when the 4th pilot (or was it 5th) came and tried to make contact with Adam (killed by Shinji in the end).

My question is .... is there more? The US boxset I saw in stores says it has 26 episodes. Someone told me to get the Death and Rebirth disk as that is episode 25 and 26. Another person said that isn't true.

So, where do I go from here? Any help is greatly appriciated!!!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are 26 episodes in Eva, the last 2 episodes being an acid trip. What you described is episode 24, leading me to believe that your friend handed you a bootleg

The End of Evangelion replaces 25 and 26 in continutiy

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I don't think it's a bootleg. It's all very professional and it's a region 3 set (not region 0). I will go and pickup "The End of Evangelion" today.

Thanks!

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Hmmm ... it has a R3 symbol on the back and doesn't play in my DVD player. I had to watch it on my computer.
Oh well, it doesn't matter. I just ordered the R1 box :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, that is a good indication it's NOT a boot, a bootlegger would be retarded to region code. Still very odd.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Just a quick question.

How are the subtitles on the region 1 release? Ont he set I have, they're pretty good up until the last 7 episodes. At that point, it seems that they had a VERY hard time doing a translation.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
they're pretty straightforward throughout. The last 7 eps are hard to translate because they're so abstract

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
About the last two episodes:

For whatever reason (some say lack of funds, some say public pressure) the original scripts for the last two episodes were scrapped. Instead, they used new scripts for 25 and 26. The original scripts were expanded for the second movie, The End of Evangelion. In EoE, the parts are even presented as Episode 25' and 26'.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Death & Rebirth (D&R) is a "teaser" that was put out for fans while End of Evangelion (EoE)was being produced.

The first part of D&R is a recap of the series. The second part is the first half of End of Evangelion.

If you are looking for the complete story arc, there is no need for D&R. The complete story arc can be derived from the series and EoE. (I didn't even order D&R as I didn't see anything new that it added to the story.)

If you are a completist and want anything Evangelion, then you will want to watch D&R after the series and before EoE, but will see a lot of repetition.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
D&R is, IMO, well done. I dunno why, but I love it.

I would recommend a rental at least so you can see it. There are a few new scenes in D&R (there are 3 versions of D&R in Japan, the one in America is the 3rd version I believe, which has all the new stuff) and the second half (the Rebirth part) is not the complete first half of EoE. I recommend watching both movies for comparison.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Personally would have mutch preferred the additional scenes as an extra on EOE with notations as to where they fit in continutiy. They're not much, just throwaways

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Episodes 25 and 26 are a great character study. Just don't expect them to be an actual end to the series.

End of Evangelion is the real end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks