What's new

Needs opinions on the H/K 520...Please (1 Viewer)

Lon_Coleman

Agent
I was just about finished with my decision making process. I was going to purchase either the Onkyo 696 or 797. Then...

I saw something on the H/K 520. I went to the website and it looks like something that would work for me.

Has anyone got an opinion on this system?? How does it compare with the 696 or 797.

Thanks in advance.

Lon_Coleman

Agent
I am confused about another issue with the 520.

Here is a quote from H/K's website...

"It’s supremely capable, with Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic* II, three DTS® modes and HDCD® decoding, as well as four modes of Logic 7 and two modes of VMAx® virtual surround sound processing, and MP3 playback from compatible computer-based audio sources."

I thought that Logic 7 was H/K's version of DPLII.

Am I wrong about this????

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
I do believe you are correct in a way. Logic 7 (in my understanding) has been around for a while (namely Lexicon processors) and H/K has a version of Logic 7 in their receivers (I hear that it is not the full L7 of the Lex's, but there is a bit of a price difference there as well...). Yes, L7 does about what DPLII does.

However, I believe that since Dolby came out with this new technology, and it is the new buzz-word in HT, all of the munufacturers need to have it or the consumers will scratch their heads and move on to the next unit with all of the bells and whistles.

Just my 2 cents. Anyone else, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, I am saving all of my lunch money for the 520 as well. I don't think I can pass this unit up.

Kevin Peak

Agent
Real Name
Kev
Scott is correct. L7 will do pretty much what DPLII will do, they just each use there own independently created algorithms to do it. L7 was developed by Lexicon, which is owned by Harmon International. I guess this just allows you to choose which you like better... and choices are always a good thing :)

Lon_Coleman

Agent
That was my understanding, but when I went to the website. I looked at the "product information sheet" and there it was in big ole' letters "Dolby Pro Logic II"

I was thrown for a loop there for a second.

Has anyone compared the 520 to the Onkyo 696 or 797?

Lon_Coleman

Agent
Well, it looks like I was wrong...

After downloading the user manual, I saw that the 520 does indeed have DPLII and Logic 7.

Does anyone know if it does S-video conversions like the Onkyo's?

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I would go for the 520 with far better amplification over the Onkyo 696. Onkyo 797 may be a tough call though.

Be careful with the H/K Logic7 mode. Previous models would work only with an analog input. I saw someone mention that it works for PCM from a digital input, but I would verify this.

Does the HK 520 have bothe DPL2 Cinema and Music modes and do these modes have any parameter adjustments? Also, are there more Logic7 modes on this unit?

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Is this true that the 520 has 6.1/7.1 DTS but only 5.1 Dolby. Is this because when the 520 came out, Dolby's EX had to be a THX unit to incorporate it or am I mistaken all together!

Rob

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
The 520 (as far as I know) does not have S-video conversion.

It does have L7 as well as DPL II. They do similar things, but they both sound a little different. Add DTS Neo:6 and you have 3 similar decoders. Again, the more buzz-words a manufacturer can include in any given product, the better it will look to the basic consumer.

The 520 does not have DD-EX, but if I am not mistaken, DTS-ES can decode DD-EX. Again, any confirmation of this would be appreciated.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I installed a 520 at a customers home a week ago, but didn't get a lot of time to play with it.
ProLogic II modes include 'Movie', 'Music' and 'Emulation' and Logic 7 modes include 'Cinema' and 'Music' (these are on all x20 series receivers). Logic 7 works on either analog or PCM digital input (always has) and the implementation on the 320 and 520 will drive 5, 6 or 7 speakers (plus sub of course).
For compositeS-Video conversion, Radio Shack offers: http://www.radioshack.com/searchsku.asp?find=15-1238 (WOW! $19.99US?! It's only $16.99 Canadian!). It does a reasonable job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks