What's new

Need suggestions on picking up an Xbox game... (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
You know, I almost had one of the boxes a few weeks back, but my local Wally World only had early-manfuctured units,and me being the paranoid person I am,told my fiancee' that I only wanted a newer Xbox.
Well,sneaky person she is,she went ahead yesterday & did just that :) Even though it is on layaway, I know in about 3 weeks that it will be all mine! :D
But I digress...
I want to (hopefully) do what I usually do when getting a system,which is get a 2nd controller (still need my GC one,though), proper wires (with this system that is a MUST) & games,of course.
I want 2 in order to start.
Halo is a no brainer - I've stated that from day one,& I can't wait :)
I'm not sure about the 2nd one,though....so I am asking for suggestions.
My fave genres are action/adventure,though I do play everything. Right not I'd say I'm looking at Max Payne, a NFL game, or Buffy,it is coming soon enough.
So I'm asking for your help. If you do make a suggestion for me,please make it something that you either own or have played. I do look at reviews & such, & the HTF is by far my favorite place to discuss gaming,so I will take what you suggest very seriously.
Thanks,
Calvin
PS: If this helps at all, my HT setup is a 36" TV w/S-video, & I do have DD 5.1 with a powered sub.
(Man,I can't wait to hear Halo on that! :D )

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Calvin,

If you like action games, Max Payne is the way to go and it is only $39.99 at Circuit City this week. It is a great game but it is a bit on the short side. If you like football games, I would pick up SEGA Sports NFL2K2. There will be a lot more replay value in that than in Max Payne.

Since you are alreeady getting Halo, I would go with the football game. This way you have a bit of both worlds, action and sports. Plus Halo is big on replay value since it has a Co-op mode and great multiplayer. Also, if you have a broadband connection, you will be able to play Halo online through Game Spy. Plus, I think Halo is a much better game than Max Payne and I like Max Payne a lot.

-Dean-

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
Calvin,
I second Dean's recommendation for NFL 2K2, primarily for the variety. I love Halo, but sometimes I need a break from that type of game, and NFL 2K2 provides the perfect alternative.
On the other hand, I would also strongly recommend Oddworld. This game blew me away and I spent many hours enjoying almost every part of it. On the downside, my wife enjoyed it so much that I couldn't play it unless she was around to watch! :) This, though, is actually a positive, as it helps her get value out of the system as well.
Good luck and have fun!
Joel

Dan B

Screenwriter
Joel, glad to hear that others enjoyed Oddworld. I just got this one last week and have been pleasantly surprised. There wasn't too much talk about this game after Xbox launch, but the game is a lot of fun, if a bit repetitive at times.

-Dan B.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Morgan, I'm mainly into first-person shooters & action/adventure games. I am a big sports fan,but not a diehard.

RPG's & RTS's are my least favorite,but if one is highly recommended & has some innovation (like FF X), then I'll give it a whirl.

Calvin

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
Max Payne is the way to go and it is only $39.99 at Circuit City this week. It is a great game but it is a bit on the short side.
I'm a big Max Payne fan and will back Dean's sentiments. It's a bit short but I was totally into the game. Really felt like playing a movie. The voice acting is over the top, but fits just right. I've said this before in the forum, but I actually enjoyed it slightly more than "gods gift to consoles" Halo. ;)
Kip

Dan Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Another big vote for "Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee". Finished it last week and it was great fun. Can't wait for the next Oddworld installment even though it will probably be a couple years! On to Halo. :) Regards, Dan

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
While I really enjoyed Max Payne on the PC, I'd probably go with Madden 2002 or SSX Tricky instead, because both have better replay value than MP. Halo and MP are great, but once you finish them, like most shooters, you don't have quite the same urge to keep playing them (and MP doesn't have any multiplayer).
Of course, the ideal solution is to get them all. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Based on what you said, I would also have to recommend Halo and Oddworld. Haven't played either, but they seem to represent the best of adventure/action and FPS so far on the XB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks