What's new

Need some suggestions on Singer/Songwriters to listen to. (2 Viewers)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I refrained from mentioning Mark Heard because his CDs are so damn hard to find. But I'm crazy about Dry Bones Dance and Second Hand, and to a lesser extent Satellite Sky.

JayMacey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kyle m
I'd like to also tell you about a kid I'm REALLY digging right now. His name is kyle. mcmahon & he is REALLY REALLY good. I first heard of him because he produced a track on the Tina Turner record in June & I went to his site:
kylemcmahon dot com & was blown away by his songs!

I also really dig Mellissa Etheridge! She can go from Rock to singer songwriter, but boy, when she does, she just blows my mind!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Definitely give a listen to Patty Larkin. She's based in New England and is a phenomenal singer/songwriter in an alternative folk vein. Most of her CDs feature a full band, but if you want a taste of just how good she is pick up her live CD titled "A Gogo". It's an amazing recording of just Patty and her guitar in front of a live audience. Awesome.

Here's a link to it at Amazon with samples, although they have the title list incorrectly as just "Gogo".

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle

I believe Paste Music is the only place you can buy Mark's cds new. I think his widow made an exclusive deal with them. I would try to get his discs from paste instead of ebay so his family will see some money from the sales.

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chet, I dont think anyone has answered your question about anyone from the Archive so I will try and suggest a couple from there. Two that are head and shoulders above anyone else on there are Martin Sexton and Ryan Adams, both great in different ways, Martin performs alot buy himself and like most artist Ryan has a band. I also would second Ellis Paul, great songs with much humor in them. I will give you a short list of others you might like.

Hamel On Trial
Luka Bloom
David Bromberg
Greg Brown
Joe Ely
Lyle Lovett
John Hiatt
Alejandro Escovedo
Todd Snider
Tom Waits

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
Try Michael McDermott. He can play lovely acoustic songs and he can rock out like few others, but always his lyrics are meaningful and his music beautiful. He just released a new album called Ashes which is terrific although I think his best album was the one before called Last Chance Lounge. Check out http://www.michael-mcdermott.com or http://www.pauperssky.com for more information if you're interested.

Michael

Clint B

Second Unit
There's a guy from North Carolina called David Wilcox who is really good. While his shows are mostly just him and his guitar, he does branch out a bit on his albums. Some people have compared him to James Taylor, and in many ways I think that's accurate, but I think David Wilcox writes better and wittier lyrics overall. His songs (as well as his live banter between songs) seem to tell great stories about everyday topics and the joys and struggles of making it in this world. Check out his website (www.davidwilcox.com) for more.

*Note: I'm not affiliated with David Wilcox in any way, but I've posted his web address for the curious.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

I went to one of his shows about 5 years ago, in all places, some sort of church. Nice songwriter, really good guitarist, and a good storyteller. His stuff is alright, but maybe a bit too James Taylor-esque for some

Some others:
Rufus Wainwright (son of Louden)
Sondre Lerch
Jason Mraz (more pop than other, but still ok)
Jamie Cullum
Elliot Smith (RIP)
Fiona Apple
India.Arie (1st album much better than 2nd)
Elvis Costello (though some might not classify him this way)
Brendan Benson
Jeff Buckley
David Gray

And A couple of immortals
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Burt Bacharach
Carly Simon
Carole King
Cat Stevens
Jerry Garcia

Will post others as I think of them

Roy Jenkins

Auditioning
Rachael B great list but how can you list arlo and not woody.

a few others

Tim Buckley
alexander spence
Beck (albums like mutations and sea change)

Pamela

Supporting Actor

I second that! She has an incredible voice and is a great songwriter. One of my favorites!

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw a guy named Amos Lee opening up for Norah Jones. He was really good, just voice and guitar. He is also just about the wittiest guy with onstage banter I've seen too. I bought one of his CDs so he could tip the Waffle House waitress.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Guy Clark
Townes Van Zandt
Jon Dee Graham
Kacy Crowley
Nancy Griffith
Jimmie Dale Gilmour
Butch Hancock
Ian Moore
Bob Schneider
Robert Earl Keen
Billy Joe Shaver

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks