What's new

Need satellite reciever advice for new 65HDX82 TV (1 Viewer)

Kenny C

Agent
I need some help from everyone if possible. I just order the Toshiba 65hdx82 HDTV. Currently I have DirectTivo.
Should I invest in a HDTV STB now or wait ? I assume there is no HDTV DirectTivo. If I should invest in a HD Decoder box, which one would you get ? I really don't want to lose my DTivo, but I feel it's a wasted not get a HD decoder.

Please advise

Thank you

Mike I

Supporting Actor
With the amount of HD available in your area I would with out a doubt get the HD decoder....All though there is talk of HD PVR's/decoders coming out next year, I would not hold my breath..Dish Network orginally projected the end of this year for the release of their HD PVR/decoder, than it was early 2003 and now they are saying 2nd half 2003..

Chet Hayes

Agent
"With the amount of HD available in your area I would with out a doubt get the HD decoder...."

What makes you think Kenny has lots of HD available in NJ? He's using Direct TV, which only has HBO, Showtime, HD-Net. North Jersey is served by NYC OTA and the only major network in HD is CBS at reduced power, which depending on where he lives may not work. There is no NBC, ABC HD.

I have Cablevision service here in central NJ and they have zippo HD nor can they give me any idea of when, if ever, they will.

Plus, sounds like he's figured out another problem, which is that Tivo is not compatible with HD. That raises an interesting question. In his situation, is there anyway for Tivo to at least coexist with HD? As I understand it, the Tivo he has is part of the Direct TV receiver. Does this mean he would have to chuck what he has and get a new HD capable one that has no Tivo?

I understand that the recording densities are not there to support HD yet, however one would think you could still use a PVR like Tivo to record SD and possibly HD at reduced resolution. Is this possible today using say a standalone Tivo?

John_Drake

Grip
Hey Kenny,
Congrats on the new TV. I bought a Tosh 65HDX82 myself. Was wondering where you ordered from. I got mine from PC Richard & Son (being from NJ, you should be familiar). They made me a great deal with 5 year warranty, and they delivered it to me in upstate NY (about an hour away from them) for $50!
Anyway, about your HD receiver question...
I too have DirecTV (coming off a DirecWay dish) and have been pondering an HD receiver. I really like the Hughes receivers, but the E-86 Platinum model (about $500) they have out now doesn't have a DVI connector. I believe Sony, Samsung, and Toshiba have HD receivers with DVI but they are $600-800. Also, I am not familiar with those other receivers in general. I am thinking of waiting for a Hughes receiver with DVI because I like the Hughes and I don't want to have to buy another receiver. And if I buy one with DVI, I believe I will be set for a while.
Another thing to consider is your dish. Do you have a Tri-LNB dish in order to receive the HD channels? One LNB receives from the 101 Sat for standard broadcast, the second LNB receives from the 119 Sat (with a few HD channels), but the third LNB on the new dishes collects data from the 110 Sat and will be the future home of other High Def channels.
Another thing to consider is OTA HD channels. If there are channels you would like to receive OTA, you will also want to consider an HD Sat Receiver that does this also. The Hughes model does. This is a web site that will allow you to check for OTA stations. Just plug in your geographical info and it will tell you what is available and what antenna to buy.
AntennaWeb.org
As far as Tivo goes, I believe Chet is right. Tivo is not compatible with HD TV. Well, at least I know there are no HD Recievers with Tivo. But... I believe you could use both. You will need a Satellite MultiSwitch (which usually come with the Tri-LNB dishes). Keep the Tivo Reciver as is, run a second line from your dish to the new HD Receiver. Have each receiver run to separate inputs on the TV. Or move the Tivo unit to a bedroom TV. It will cost ya an additional $5/month with DirecTV for the added receiver, but you could have the best of both worlds...
I hope this helps.

Kenny C

Agent
Hi John
I bought it at 6th Ave Elec. I originally paid 2,899 but I got him down to 2699 because i told him I saw it cheaper at Crazy Eddies for $2499. I knew he couldn't match that price so I got it for $2699. I just called him the other day to get the Zenith HD STB 520. I think he was charging $699 or $799. I told him he still owes me $200 from the TV price he couldn't match. I will see what happens.

I think i do have Tri-LNB. I upgraded it last year looking ahead to get a HDTV.
What I am thinking is, and I hope this is clear.
Is running my all in inputs into my B&K PreAmp and switching between V1 and V2 for HD STB and my DTivo.
This will act like a switchbox.

Does that sound right ?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks