What's new

Need Reciever Advice Quick!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Hello all. I am a newbie to HT. I currently have a stereo reciever, but am wanting to upgrade to a surround reciever. I am a married college student and am the only one working right now so my budget is very very tight. Anyhow, the question: how would you rate the Sherwood Surround reciever, model # SHE RD7103? I found were I can get one, brand new (usually $170), for $50 (after a mail in rebate)!! I had my eye set on a Yamaha HTR-5450 for the distant future. It seems to be a much better reciever, but I have had no experience with Sherwood so I thought I would ask about it first. Thanks for all your input.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Well, the deal is at the circuit city website. The site says it is for web orders only, but you get a $120 mail in rebate. I didn't notice any fine print or strings attatched. I just wanted to know if it was a decent reciever or if I should just wait till I get enough money for the speakers, reciever, the whole shabang. I think that is the way my wife is leaning and you know if mamma ain't happy.... Thanks in advance for everybodies replies.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
For the money, and considering your situation, hell yes buy the thing.

It should be good enough for at least a couple of years, and will always be worth $100 on the used market anyway.

No-can-lose!

Now on to speakers......

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
Did you notice that the rebate is combined? You have to buy the receiver and the Jensen 6 piece speaker system. Click on the rebate link. $150 + $180 - 120 = $210. I doubt that the speakers are that great. If you already have speakers I would just get a better receiver.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Ahh poop! Thanks Michael. I knew it was to good to be true. I just knew there were some strings attatched that I just was not seeing....oh well. Well, I guess this thread can be closed down now... Thanks everybody.

JulioL

Auditioning
I don't know how you feel about refurbished merchandise but you can find the following at refurbdepot.com:

Pioneer VSX-D709S: $209.95

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks