What's new

Need Power Amp for Shakers (1 Viewer)

chrisEV

Auditioning
I have a Panasonic surround system, and what I'm trying to do is hook up two Aura bass shakers that I'm going to mount into the inside of my couch.

The shakers are 25w 4ohms each. I want to run a slave amplifier from the surround amp to the shakers. I've spoken to some professional electronics people, and they said the best amp would be 100w 4ohm, and wire the shakers in a series circuit.

I cannot find a normal house amplifier with those specs thats decently priced.

What about using a transformer and powering the shakers with a car amplifier? I could find a 100w 4ohm car amplifier easily.

Any problem issues with setting up this way?

Thanks,
Chris Evans

MarcHarley

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
I have the same shakers also and all i did was connect the shakers to an old receiver that i had liyng around, so what i did is run the old amp to my current receiver and i plugged my shakers in series and VOILA you get 8ohms, it's as simple as that.

hope that helps

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Either that or pick up a plate amplifier from Parts Express. They have 70 and 100 watt amps for very cheap money. It won't take much to power the Aura's.

DougR

Second Unit
I picked up a Plate Amp from Partsexpress.com for mine. Works good and didn't cost that much....ya don't need nothing fancy !
Plate Amps

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
IMHO (I have four standard shakers mounted under my front sofa), the best results are a fairly low crossover point (i.e., below 60hz, so you miss a lot of "music"), and a bit more volume than you'd guess on. You've gotta calibrate the things by the seat of you pants (literally) and I just like stuff like explosions, etc., kicking at me...

My fave test track for the things (I loop it until I'm done) is the first big dinosaur fight (I think track 4) in Jurassic Park III. I think it's DTS too... Turn off your subs, and if you want, turn off your speakers. Just see what "feels" right.

Patrick Z

Agent
i have a case of bass shakers which i am mounting under my subfloor before sheetrock.

what is the best way to wire them ?

i already have a 100 watt amp.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, I've got another type of shaker, and I use a plate amp from parts express. I recommend you do the one with the built in remote for volume and frequency cut off. its nice to be able to adjust the volume and frequency based on what you are watching or listening to.
Patrick, Use plenty of heavy wire. That shaker will get a ton of use if you watch a lot of movies. more so than any other speaker in your setup (less your sub, maybe) If you are going to overwire, do it here. How many shakers do you have? if you are doing an entire floor, look at clark synthesis instead of aurora. www.clarksynthesis.com
from my research, they are better for larger areas.

Patrick Z

Agent
i bought a case of them from parts express.

just to mount under the area where the couch is going to be placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks