What's new

Need NAD advice quick please! (1 Viewer)

Mark Russ

Second Unit
If everything else was equal, ie. price and warranty coverage, what wouild you choose between a new NAD C372 integrated amp or a new in box, but previous generation C160/C270 pre amp and power amp combo?

I am aware that the C372 integrated does have slightly more power (30 watts per channel) than the C270 power amp. Also, the 372 would require a seperate phono stage whereas the C160 preamp wouldn't. But that is not neccesarily a bad thing as seperating the phono stage from the power amp section would negate one advantage the the seperates would have over the intergrated wouldn't it?

Is an intagrated about as good as true seperates since the nasty tuner section is seprate from the power amp section? Just like Adcoms tuner/preamps that mate with their power amps?

Opinions please, and thanks in advance.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
You kind of answered your own question I think. Seperates ALWAYS have an edge with the ability to upgrade any one component as needed. Do you want the all in one integrated or do you feel you need the ability to upgrade your amp/preamp as needed when you need? As your system needs change you can change the needed piece easier. I would bet the NAD phono stage will be all you would want UNLESS you have a very expensive TT setup. NAD makes decent phono stages.

I'd make a list of advantages and disadvantages of each route and possible ramifications of future changes with each path.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Comparing a NAD to a NAD, the integrated will give you pretty well near, but not quite, the same quality of sound as the 160/270 combo. The extra 30w would not hurt... If you are looking for absolute purism with simpler upgradability, go with the separates. If you are just looking for a great amp and don't care so much about the pre-stage, which will still be very good, go with the 372.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I bought a c370($500) about 2 months ago. I to was interested in the c160/c270 combo, but it wasn't worth the extra $300 to me. Instead, I was able to get a c541i cd player with it for the same price as the c160/c270 combo.

The c370 has the capability to completly seperate the preamp from the amp. That right there makes it equally capable of upgrading as the c160/c270 combo. The only disadvantage is if you upgrade the amp, your preamp is 2-3 times larger than it needs to be. I do know if I was going to upgrade, I would just buy a c270.

As another option, a c370 with a c270 will give you 300x2 and give you much more for the $100 extra that it costs.

You'll be happy with whatever choice you make. I know I love my NAD.

P.S.- This thread just made me realize the c270 is even cheaper now. There goes another few hundred $. :frowning: and :) at the same time.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Thanks guys. I have Polk RT112s for mains, and they are a VERY power hungry speaker.

I was planning on passively biamping them with 2 NAD C270 power amps bridged just to drive the woofers alone. That much is settled. I was going to get a NAD C372 integrated to drive the tweets/mids along with the pre- duties, but the dealer said he would let me have new in box previous generation C160/C270 combo for actually a little less than the C372 integrated costs.

He insists the seperates are a much better way to go even if they are a generation older, and that having a preamp having it's own power supply is a big thing.

I always thought that the main things were to have the tuner and phono stages away from the power amp section.

I still haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the true seperates right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks