What's new

Need help with set up in house in SF Bay Area (1 Viewer)

RichB

Grip
Well I got my new Denon 3803 and Panny RP-91 and I almost killed myself trying to set it up last night. My Boston center speaker fell off the top of the TV and almost killed me. As a result the little gold connector sheared off and I just have it connected very loosely for now until I can bring it in and have it fixed. In the meantime I couldn't even get the setup menu to appear on the monitor. So this morning I realized that when I bought my first Denon and HT system I had "Good Guys" send 2 guys over to set up my system, install my in-wall surrounds, do all the wiring under the house and hook everything up. I have no idea what the f*** I am doing with all these connections etc. Once everything is connected properly, I'm sure (I hope) I can configure it all properly, but I need help getting my new components connected correctly and having everything initially set up. I have a 32inch WEGA TV insideof a massive Oak Entertainment Center that is cumbersome and difficult to maneuver around. Can anyone recommend someone in the bay area that I can pay to help me, or should I call up Good Guys again? These new components I bought over the internet, so I don't know if they'll even set them up for me. I am in Novato (Marin County). HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Take a deep breath, Rich. Get some rest and tackle this project on a weekend.

First, is the center-channel speaker still in working order, despite the sheared-off binding post?

Do you have reasonable access to the rear panel on the receiver?

Get organized. Lay out your interconnects and speaker wires in an orderly fashion. Read the receiver's instruction manual (don't worry about setup just now, and don't even bother thinking about the trick "modes" to use when using Dolby PLII).

Connect the electronic components first (according to the instructions). Then connect the speakers.

This is not rocket science. Again, be patient and take this one step at a time. If you're properly organized, and you have to correct tools, you should be able to get the system up and running after an afternoon's work.

After you're connected, we'll walk you through the setup process.

RichB

Grip
You're right, but it IS a weekend. I thought about this and given the size of the entertainment center and the difficulty accessing the wiring etc, I really need help. The center speaker is still working, but when I get a chance I'll need to take it in to get the post repaired. I don't mind paying someone something reasonable, I just really need someone to come over and help I think. Thanks for your offer to walk me through it though....

John Beavers

Second Unit
RichB,

I know that initial setup of an HT audio system can sometimes be confusing, and challenging for a first timer. Even after digesting the manual, when you get back there and have all the wiring and the plethora of inputs/outputs to consider, it can still be a daunting prospect to hook it all up and calibrate it correctly. My advice would similar to Jack's. But if you still are having problems and don't mind paying for my gas I'll come over an help out. I'm about an hour's drive from Novato.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to come out and help, but my family is in town today and I hate to run out on them for my HT hobby.

Instead, how about some advice from afar:

- Put the receiver on the lowest shelf. This lets the speaker wires flow out without obscuring everything else.

- Put things you interact with like DVD/VCR/Game system up on the higher shelves so you dont have to bend over to interact with them.

- Put things you never touch (DSS, CATV box) above the receiver.

- I'd acutally connect the speakers first, then use the test-tone feature on the receiver to make sure the sounds come out as expected. Then as you hook up each electronic component, test it and make sure you know how to go back to all other sources. This way you only add 1 component at a time and gain confidence that any problems are due to the most-recent device.

- Strong Suggestion: Start the setup in the morning when you dont have time-crunches. This allows you to run out and get new cables as needed. Dont get upset if you have to make 2 or 3 trips. Sure, the pro's can take a look and make 1 trip for everything, but you are not a pro so dont put this type of pressure on yourself. Give yourself time

- Plan to run component video cable straight to the TV, but also plan to run SVideo from everything to the receiver, then 1 SVideo cable to the TV from the receiver. The "Default" mode will be to make the TV be a dumb display - only showing what the receiver sends it. All source switching is done through the receiver.

Good luck.

RichB

Grip
Thanks guys, but John Beavers has already graciously offered to come by my house tomorrow and help me out. I'm already counting down the minutes until he comes so I can finally have my HT back in action! Thanks for all your offers of help......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks