What's new

Need help with Receiver/DVD Player problem (1 Viewer)

Shaun

Second Unit
I have a problem when watching DVDs on my Onkyo TX-DS575X Receiver and Onkyo DV-C501 DVD player. Every once in a while, while watching a movie, I hear an audio dropout. It happens at least one time on every one of my discs, not just a select few. I wonder if the lens needs to be cleaned on the DVD player or if it's a problem with the receiver. I've had the receiver and DVD player since summer 2000. I've never had the components cleaned or maintained. They've played fine up until recently. Any help would be appreciated.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
So we're not talking about the layer switch that happens on many discs, just random audio dropouts?

Shaun

Second Unit
It's not the layer switch, (I can tell when that happens, there's a slight pause). There's no pause when this happens. It's just random audio dropouts, that I think is due to accumulated dust in the disc tray. But I could be wrong. Is there any kind of DVD Player cleaner I can purchase to clean the inside of the player?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I for one wouldn't go cracking open a dvd player to try to clean it..plus how dirty can it get in a living room?

I would try a different digital cable first to see if yours is defecttive.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Shaun, does it always occur at the same point in the movies/discs or are the dropouts truly random? What Alf suggests is good test. Try another cable and/or make sure your cable connections have not been jarred or loosened in anyway. I am not sure if they sell dvd cleaner packages but I'm sure a quick search on the 'net will reveal if they do. Although, it's hard to believe that much dust/debris has collected inside the player.

good luck,

--tom

Shaun

Second Unit
I would never consider cracking it open unless I was throwing it away. I just wonder if a DVD/CD Lens cleaner disc would help with the problem. The audio dropouts never happen in the same place twice, it's very random. I'll try a different digital cable, i have a spare coax and fiber optic and try those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks