What's new

Need help with Deathrow. I'm getting stomped! (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I've gone from loving this game to starting to hate it because I've been beaten by the Marines fifteen times in a row ... Any tips on strategy?
For instance, I'll often find myself sprinting toward the goal, just me and the goalie, and he blocks my shot EVERY time. I try to throw a "deathrow" and it will knock him out but then it won't go through the hoop. How the hell do I get the disc past the goalie? Any advice at all appreciated!

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I always try to curve the disc around the goalie this way it has more chance of going in. You do this my turning the analog stick left/right right before you throw the disc.
Also, if you're playing an aggressive team (and I think the Marines are) don't start fights with them, because they will kick your ass. When I play against a team with high aggressiveness I stay away from them as much as possible, and never try to intimidate them into whooping on me.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the advice, Chris!
By turning the analog stick, you mean moving the right strafing stick to the left or right, right? I'll start experimenting with that.
As for not starting fights with the Marines, I try not to, but when the score is, say, 0 to 5 in their favor, I start getting frustrated and figure the hell with it, I'm going to stomp on their goalie. Then of course I end up losing AND getting my ass kicked. Very frustrating.
Which defensive/offensive option would you choose against the Marines?

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Hmm, I hardly use the strafe analog stick, mostly because I find it hard (damn near impossible) to jump and shoot while using the strafe stick.

I always turn the movement stick when Im shooting, as I've always thought that wa sthe one that addeds curve to the shots. I've practically forgotten about the strafe action.

As far as defensive/offensive settings go, I always put my team on full defense. I find if I leave it on normal or higher, I get scored on very easily. Occasionally I'll switch between strong defense, strong offense, especially if I feel the game is starting to go my way.

Paul__A

Grip
I generally leave my team on full offense or defense depending on who is in the lead. Aside from the curve shot a deathrow is great for setting up goal opportunities. When I have the disc I run straight for the front of the goal (perpendicular to the back wall) and launch a deathrow. The goalie will either let it go in or take the hit. If you hit him headon, lots of times the disc will fly in the air right back to you, easy score with the goalie out.
However, my playing style tends to complement the KO win instead of scoring :frowning: . I beat the Convicts, Marines and Demons with KO's (lost to them a lot too though, hehe). If you plan on KO'ing an agressive team, you should decide it at the very beginning of the match. I put full offense, isolate a single enemy player, injure him, wait for him to get up, injure again. If his teammate tries to help him I jump straight up and do a spin kick to hopefully hit him, run away and look for the same player to pick on again, moving on to another player when he's knocked out. Grab powerups constantly and switch players a lot to let them grab mega healths as well. Completely heal the team in between rounds (Dont worry too much about the money at least on medium difficulty, I'm at the final team and you get alot more than you need). Take note of opponents low on health and key in on them at the start of the next round.
I love this game!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
James,

It kind of depends on what team you happen to be playing against the Marines. Who are you using? I usually use one of two strategies:

Out play them. This is if you are using a decent pass/shoot/teamwork team, like the Blitzers or Seacats. Basically, just keep dodging, passing, and shooting to completely outplay the Marines. The important thing to remember here is that the AI is actually pretty good at shooting, so let your AI teammates take the shots that you set up. For example, when the disc is being carried toward their goal, run over and tackle their goalie. Kick him a few times when he is down. This will attract another Marine as well as pissing off the goalie when he gets up. Just dodge away from the goal and both will persue you. Gives your teammates an open goal and probably 2-3 points (though you might get whooped after a bit.) That sort of stuff...

Brutalize them. This is if you are playing a team like Convicts or Demons. Just crank the aggression to full (the fist) and let the bodies fly. I usually like to pick on their goalie as he is always in the same place and attracts a lot of heat from other enemies. Tends to get the fighting going on early so we can get a few KOs and start putting the disc through an empty basket or go for the team KO. Sounds like this is NOT the kind of strategy you want to use.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Don't forget about the Taunt. I use it all the time to get the goalie to chase me and get him out of position.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Well, I finally defeated those bastards, thanks in part to a combination of the tips from this thread. I've been playing as the Blitzers all along, and didn't want to switch, so I just kept using them.
I tried fighting the Marines but wasn't good enough, so I finally outscored them ... just in time. I read reviews for various games where the reviewer talks about throwing the controler in frustration ... for the first time in my life, I almost did exactly that, which would have left me even more unhappy, losing again with a broken controler to boot ... but I won!
Thanks for the advice.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Hmm, I hardly use the strafe analog stick, mostly because I find it hard (damn near impossible) to jump and shoot while using the strafe stick
You don't need to use the strafe stick, I've found that holding down R works much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliedisdisusa
Recent bookmarks