What's new

Need help tweeking my HT (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I need help w/ speaker placement and tweeking. I just got Polk r40s as my mains. I have RCA surrounds and a RCA center channel. I have a RCA Dolby Digital 80x5 receiver and an Audiosource eq. I will get a klipsch ksw-200 soon. I use my xbox as a cd/dvd player and have an older Sony Triniton, which had a great picture. Up till now, I have used only stereo mode, but I want to use dsp for movies and music. So I want to get the most out of all my speakers now. How do I tweek my HT to get the most out of it? My room is 10.5 by 12. The HT is on the 12 wall and I sit on the opposite side against the wall and in the middle. So please help me tweek my system. I know I have to calibrate it and set all the speakers to 75db. How/where should I place my floorstanding mains? I use 16 wire for the mains, do you recommend going w/ a bigger wire? Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Jason GT

Second Unit
From one newbie to another:
read this
It's a pretty good intro on speaker placement. Also, I would consider spending some more money :) and procuring a Polk center channel, preferably from the same family or product line of polk speakers (sorry, I'm not familiar with Polk products).
The reason for the latter? With the Polk/RCA/Polk front setup you have right now, you'll probably experience a strange change in sound when you get panning sound effects. Selecting timbre matched speakers is pretty important in HT... I would hazard a guess and say that it's pretty much critical for the three fronts.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Jason's advise it right on along with a great link. A far as wire the 16 should be fine, 14 is better- some will say 12 is the best but the truth is, I've never heard a difference between any of these. In theory 12 is better though due to better conduction- that makes sense. Also, I would just follow the recommendation of the receiver- they tend to know whats best for their units. I use 14 to play it safe. And for short runs- maybe the center speaker- a smaller guage wire (16) should be fine. Also make sure you set the wires to the same length in terms of L&R fronts and L&Rrears. Have a good time.

PS. When you get a sub- corner placemet is best most of the time.

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I have made the front l&r and rear l&r wires the same length. So my wires are fine. I'll put the sub in a corner when I get it. Thanks for the help and the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks